Kyle Gibson signs with the Cardinals

Going Underground

1 minute ago, Sanity Check said:

Am I the only one concerned that when the offseason dust settles, we'll all feel like Kyle Gibson would have been the better option vs. whatever Elias does come up with??  As in, we'll end up with another Lyles type.....who was okay for us, but not what the collective "WE" wanted for Christmas.....

Definitely possible. But a lot of us felt that way about Gibson versus Lyles last offseason, and it of course turned out to be a pretty significant improvement.

It does feel like the market has taken another jump though, and Elias has shown a tendency to not get caught up in these bidding wars. I think the trade avenue is the only realistic option. I just don't see us pursuing Montgomery, Gray or Rodriguez (and definitely not Snell/Yamamoto).

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Honestly I half expected to get him back. I'd rather have no one than Gibson/Frazier types. Hope he does well for the Cardinals.

You'd rather have no one than Gibson's 192 innings? Good luck getting that from Kremer or Wells at the back end of the rotation. 

I hope we aim higher than Gibson, too, but I'd still take him over absolutely no SP acquisitions. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Honestly I half expected to get him back. I'd rather have no one than Gibson/Frazier types. Hope he does well for the Cardinals.

I'm more there with position players but same.  Not upgrading the rotation is less than ideal.  Going down that path would really open the door for Hall/Wells to run with a rotation spot.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

You'd rather have no one than Gibson's 192 innings? Good luck getting that from Kremer or Wells at the back end of the rotation. 

I hope we aim higher than Gibson, too, but I'd still take him over absolutely no SP acquisitions. 

We will be getting Means back. Last year we underutilized Irvin (who had 178 and 181 in back to back years before the trade), and that was with a six man rotation and a short leash on Wells. Gibson actually wasn't an improvement over Lyles '22 or Irvin '21-22. So yeah, I'd rather stand pat and reassess at the trade deadline than make a $12M commitment to basically a replacement level pitcher. 

3 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I'm more there with position players but same.  Not upgrading the rotation is less than ideal.  Going down that path would really open the door for Hall/Wells to run with a rotation spot.

Yes, don't get me wrong, I definitely would like to upgrade the rotation. But Gibson or equivalent doesn't do that.