John Means contract

wildcard

7 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Recency matters, sure.  But I wouldn’t label him “injury prone” because he’s one of the many who need TJ.  TJ is a big deal and can have a chain reaction impact too (like back issues).  That’s the concern, not his history.

2024 is important for him.  And why I still would hold the line and QO him if he is who he was.  @wildcardis “buying low” but also buying risk.  I don’t see Elias doing that as is.

Again, he has shoulder issues.  He essentially misses 4-6 weeks every year. Yes, he’s definitely injury prone.  

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Yes, he misses time.  On average about 6 starts a year.  He still averages 26 starts and 150 IP.

Huh? Let’s throw out 2020, since it’s a shortened season. He has been in the majors since 2019. In those 4 years, he started 59 games and appeared in 4 others.  333.1 IP in those 4 years.

What cherry picking, completely irrelevant math are you doing?

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Do you not think it’s relevant that he had IL stints in 2019, 2020 and 2021?   

Sure with the “depends” qualifier.  I’m ultimately not extending him and am willing to miss the “buy low” window.  

I think MiLB matters for general health considerations (my main point of contention ). And cherry picking stats is disregarding that.  Is Means mechanically sound or a high-effort guy increasing/decreasing his health risk more than whatever the normal break-rate is?  I tend to think he’s (in general) a lower risk guy who’s in a shorter term risk window.

If Means can throw 150 decent innings this year, a QO is probably a good bet because someone will absolutely give him a 3 or 4-yr deal on the open market. 

I wouldn't be opposed to an extension, but it's highly dependent on his health and production, and what other moves we make this offseason, etc. 

29 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Sure with the “depends” qualifier.  I’m ultimately not extending him and am willing to miss the “buy low” window.  

I think MiLB matters for general health considerations (my main point of contention ). And cherry picking stats is disregarding that.  Is Means mechanically sound or a high-effort guy increasing/decreasing his health risk more than whatever the normal break-rate is?  I tend to think he’s (in general) a lower risk guy who’s in a shorter term risk window.

The multiple shoulder soreness episodes worry me.  But I’ve already said I’d offer him an extension with a modest base and innings-based incentives.  

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The multiple shoulder soreness episodes worry me.  But I’ve already said I’d offer him an extension with a modest base and innings-based incentives.  

FWIW - probably not all that much - he did say a year or so ago that they came up with a strengthening/training plan for the shoulder issues. That was before or maybe during his TJS layoff, so I guess we'll see if that training regimen pays off.