Winter Meetings Thread

Roll Tide

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sure, but it's tough to even figure out what a fair trade for Holliday looks like. If teams are in fact asking about him, that is a LOT of wasted time. But maybe that's the proper negotiation tactic, I don't know. 

As silly as the White Sox are, I can't imagine they are beginning their Cease talks with Holliday. I do very much think they are asking for the next most ridiculous thing, which is some combination of prospects that include Mayo, Kjerstad, Basallo, etc. Everyone except who we are okay with trading, basically. At least for Cease, anyway. 

Who knows what they’re asking for?  It’s all speculation.  

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sure, but it's tough to even figure out what a fair trade for Holliday looks like. If teams are in fact asking about him, that is a LOT of wasted time. But maybe that's the proper negotiation tactic, I don't know. 

As silly as the White Sox are, I can't imagine they are beginning their Cease talks with Holliday. I do very much think they are asking for the next most ridiculous thing, which is some combination of prospects that include Mayo, Kjerstad, Basallo, etc. Everyone except who we are okay with trading, basically. At least for Cease, anyway. 

They probably think they are being reasonable by not asking for Gunnar.  😉

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't think many teams are asking for Holliday, but I do think they are asking for Kjerstad and Mayo. And I think Elias is having a hard time shifting attention from Kjerstad and Mayo to Cowser and Ortiz/Westburg. That, and we don't have sexy pitching prospects. 

But I honestly do think Kjerstad and Mayo are kind of making Mike's life miserable right now. 

Yeah, I think something like this is what's going on too.  Between Holliday, Mayo, and Basallo, we've got 3 top 20-25 guys.  Maybe even all top 10-15 guys.  Hard to not ask for that type of player even if we have 3 of them.  And even harder for a cost-conscience team to give them for 1-2 years and added injury risk to upgrade a position of need.

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

Yeah, I think something like this is what's going on too.  Between Holliday, Mayo, and Basallo, we've got 3 top 20-25 guys.  Maybe even all top 10-15 guys.  Hard to not ask for that type of player even if we have 3 of them.  And even harder for a cost-conscience team to give them for 1-2 years and added injury risk to upgrade a position of need.

If Cease was a true ace, asking for Kjerstad or Basallo would be defensible. Chicago seems to think he is, but he's just not. He's a flawed mid-rotation guy with some upside. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

I haven’t followed it really so excuse me if  it’s already been brought up but does anybody know roughly what it would take to get Cease?

Id love him here for the right price 

Not being a smart-aleck, but that's the million dollar question!  There's no idea what the White Sox are looking for in return for Cease.

Edited by clapdiddy

I remember back in the 2005-2010 era when the Orioles were terrible there were tons of trade rumors surrounding our All Star SS Miguel Tejada. I had my heart set on a deal that would send him to the Dodgers for a couple of minor league prospects named Matt Kemp and Clayton Kershaw, and couldn't understand why LA wouldn't pull the trigger on such a trade. It was a no brainer. Tejada was a perennial MVP contender, signed to a reasonable long term contract. How could they say no to that?

Shoe's on the other foot now. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, interloper said:

But I honestly do think Kjerstad and Mayo are kind of making Mike's life miserable right now. 

I'm pretty sure you didn't *really* mean what you wrote here. I'm also pretty sure that Mike's life would be more miserable if he didn't have those two guys tee'd up and ready for the majors.

23 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I'm pretty sure you didn't *really* mean what you wrote here. I'm also pretty sure that Mike's life would be more miserable if he didn't have those two guys tee'd up and ready for the majors.

Yeah I'm just bored/frustrated lol. I'm basically saying that he can't get other teams off his top-tier prospects' nuts enough to actually consummate a realistic trade involving the 2nd-tier guys (Westburg, Ortiz, Cowser). Who are 1st-tier guys in any other organization! 

32 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah I'm just bored/frustrated lol. I'm basically saying that he can't get other teams off his top-tier prospects' nuts enough to actually consummate a realistic trade involving the 2nd-tier guys (Westburg, Ortiz, Cowser). Who are 1st-tier guys in any other organization! 

If other teams are actually evaluating trades by prospect ranks across each team instead of looking at the prospect individually, Elias should just say FU and hang up the phone on these idiot GMs and just go with what we got. There’s no way he should allow himself to get fleeced simply for having the best farm system.