Winter Meetings Thread

Roll Tide

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

The Orioles aren't in a great position to compete as the Padres have almost 700 innings to backfill from now free agents.    Its a byproduct of the long (and productive overall!) choice to lean heavily into Bats.      

In a vacuum, visualizing competition between Dylan Cease and Juan Soto for a championship I know who I'd rather on my team.

Seatlle could outbid the Yankees on pitching if they wanted to.

There's really no need for overthinking if this happens. He's going to be brought in to close games. 

I don't think they're committed to Hall as a relief pitcher yet, and probably the same with Wells. Both will likely see time in the BP in '24, but I don't believe that they're going to start the season out there.

Kimbrel had a similar save percentage to Bautista last season and he still K's a lot. The HR numbers kinda jump out from last season but he's a perfectly reasonable signing for a team looking to make the playoffs...even if it's going to be hard to watch the weird arm thingy for me.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't say that I would have Kimbrel set up and Cano close.

I asked if he would be willing to come into the season as something other than the designated Closer.

I see.  I guess that will depend on whether dollars or defined role are more important to Kimbrel.  My guess is that Elias wants him as a closer, at least to start the year....mostly because Elias said he wanted closer experience, which I (rightly or wrongly) interpret to mean he wants to get a closer for Hyde.  

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I am.

San Diego is asking for a lot for a one year rental that's going to be making 30M.

Just curious, why? They have proven time and again that trading prospects and taking on money doesn't change what they can do. I think they will be respectable without a player of his caliber...who knows just how much of an impact he will have if they do acquire him.

3 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Just curious, why? They have proven time and again that trading prospects and taking on money doesn't change what they can do. I think they will be respectable without a player of his caliber...who knows just how much of an impact he will have if they do acquire him.

It's simple.

I think it is a poor long term move for the team.

It's going to keep them in penalty for cap purposes.  It's going to help keep them dependent on outside talent.

The Yankees are truly dangerous when they can produce star players out of their own system and then supplement them. 

As for what they can do?

They can make the playoffs most seasons.  They aren't nearly as scary as they used to be.

I'll trade a stronger 2024 Yankees team for a weaker team going forward.

14 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

The Yankees have also proven time and time again since 2010 that selling out their farm system to pick up veterans (Rizzo, Gallo, Benintendi, Montas) hasn't worked out in order to win them a championship. Cashman has also shown that he doesn't make good free agent signings either (Stanton, Rodon, Ellsbury, Youkilis, Happ), so that's a bad combination. The Yankees have steadily regressed from WS contenders to missing the playoffs over the past 5+ years thanks to Cashman's decisions.

The Yankees should just wait one season to sign Soto as a free agent. Trading away pitching prospects - which they need for their longer-term success - for a one year rental is stupid. I'd be glad to see them trade for Soto.

Edited by Brooks The Great
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's simple.

I think it is a poor long term move for the team.

It's going to keep them in penalty for cap purposes.  It's going to help keep them dependent on outside talent.

The Yankees are truly dangerous when they can produce star players out of their own system and then supplement them. 

As for what they can do?

They can make the playoffs most seasons.  They aren't nearly as scary as they used to be.

I'll trade a stronger 2024 Yankees team for a weaker team going forward.

I think what you're saying makes sense for most teams, but the Yankees have shown that a bad contract or move doesn't really change their plans.

Most teams would have been in panic mode after the Rodón signing, but they can just brush it off. It wouldn't surprise me to see them dump Stanton if he's as bad as last year. They just have a willingness to throw prospects and money away and keep on clicking along.

3 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I think what you're saying makes sense for most teams, but the Yankees have shown that a bad contract or move doesn't really change their plans.

Most teams would have been in panic mode after the Rodón signing, but they can just brush it off. It wouldn't surprise me to see them dump Stanton if he's as bad as last year. They just have a willingness to throw prospects and money away and keep on clicking along.

They clicked along to a fourth place finish in 2023. 

I'm not dismissing them by any means but they aren't the threat they used to be.

4 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Yeah, they're the motherf-ing Yankees.  They're not just going to fall apart.

However, we're talking about optimization.

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This is why it’s silly to suggest we can just roll Out the same team and we will be fine.

There's not the level of PEDs in mlb as there were in when the Yankees were a perennial threat.  Same with Boston.  Their strategies of signing older players doesn't work.  They break down.  They do have a really good bullpen though.  Their lineup isnt scary at all.  Lots of hype.

If Wells is a SP then we need to add someone like Robertson.  We just play a lot of close games. Win or lose.  I keep forgetting about Tate though.  

Our offseason might be pretty boring now.  Kimbrel fills in for Bautista.  Tate takes over what we hoped to get out of Fuji.  Wells in the rotation.  Does Hicks come back or do we roll with Hilliard/Mckenna?

I also think our team just needs a rake and not a bulldozer this offseason.  

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Yeah, they're the motherf-ing Yankees.  They're not just going to fall apart.

However, we're talking about optimization.

This is usually how they optimize though. I mean, as a fan it doesn't "scare" me if they pick him up, but it does make them pretty strong in 2024. That's been my concern for the Orioles this off-season...how much does the East improve, and how does that impact on a nightly basis? 

That's why they play the games though. The Mets and Padres by all accounts should have been much better than the records ended up.

3 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

Verdugo seems like a Yankee type, a good bit unlikable for me.   I always thought of him as overly cocky, chains and all.....

Maybe Ohtani will be manning right field for the Red Sox, and this just made room for him.....

Verdugo will look like a totally different person without the beard.