Winter Meetings Thread

Roll Tide

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Does anyone have Lowder or Petty as a top 100 prospect?   Longenhagen doesn’t.  He lists them as the Reds’ 4th and 5th best prospects, both in the 45+ FV range.  Lowder was drafted 1:7 last year but hasn’t pitched yet as a pro.  

MLB has Lowder 41st

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

They aren’t getting 4 top prospects. It’s just bad wording or it’s not the same meaning of top prospects that we normally associate it with.

Yeah I got caught up with that too, and MLBs rating of Lowder. If the Sox aren’t hung up on pitching I think Cowser + Ortiz would be much more suitable.

7 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Yeah I got caught up with that too, and MLBs rating of Lowder. If the Sox aren’t hung up on pitching I think Cowser + Ortiz would be much more suitable.

The thing is, a lot of teams are hung up on pitching.

Most teams want at least some pitching back when they trade a pitcher.

It's part of the reason I don't care for the draft bats and trade the excess for pitchers strategy.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There are a few…Alex Kiriloff immediately jumps to mind.

I still maintain that there is zippy chance these 2 turn down extensions as long as they are FA before they turn 30.

It's less likely, but Machado is a good comp on why either should consider turning it down if they are risk takers. 

Sign the massive deal at 26 with the opt-out to give you the ability to get an even bigger yearly salary and more years at their absolute peak (~age 30).   And if they haven't performed, they still have a massive payday to take them into their mid-30s.

The Machado approach will earn the player tens of millions, if not more than any extension followed by FA by 30.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The thing is, a lot of teams are hung up on pitching.

Most teams want at least some pitching back when they trade a pitcher.

It's part of the reason I don't care for the draft bats and trade the excess for pitchers strategy.

And it’s not unreasonable, pitching is expensive and tough to come by. But by the same logic those young pitchers will be tougher for teams like the Reds to let go of. I think the Os are still in a decent position here. 

1 hour ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

so that’s #2 & #6 per mlb.com plus two others. That’s #41 & #68 per MLB top 100.versus #14 & #50 in  Cowser and Ortiz. 

So it would depend on what the other two guys actually look like. But, our guys rank out better. Now if they want pitching over defense that’s another story.

Id imagine the Reds are balking at that price.

Per Roch

“With those kinds of things, obviously we listen, and Mike and I talk a lot,” Boras said. “Obviously, our job is to filter those phone calls, relay them to the players. We kind of discuss it and see if it’s something that the player himself is interested in.”

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

so that’s #2 & #6 per mlb.com plus two others. That’s #41 & #68 per MLB top 100.versus #14 & #50 in  Cowser and Ortiz. 

So it would depend on what the other two guys actually look like. But, our guys rank out better. Now if they want pitching over defense that’s another story.

Id imagine the Reds are balking at that price.

Huh?  #68 on the MlB list is Connor Phillips..another Reds pitching prospect but a different person than Petty.

These asking prices for Free Agent and Trades return for Starting Pitching are at an-all time astronomical high.  That asking price for Cease is starting at insane and may go beyond insane when the bidding is done....

I'd rather go with Bradish, Rodriguez, Means, Kremer, and Hall, and whoever emerges from McDermott, Povich, Johnson, Wells, and Irwin and keep my prospects....  

or do what we've always done and sign a lower tier Free Agent starter and hope for the best....

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Huh?  #68 on the MlB list is Connor Phillips..another Reds pitching prospect but a different person than Petty.

So Petty isn’t in the 100….LOL 

I guess I don’t understand that poorly written post. The Reds #9 and #11 are Jorge and Stafura.