Winter Meetings Thread

Roll Tide

Arizona makes sense to me. It has a large Latino population and the Diamondbacks are a very good young upcoming team with a real chance to win the World Series.

Now they can compete with Texas for Montgomery, or throw the Orange & Black hat in the ring for Shota Imanaga.

Or trade for Corbin Burnes and call it a day.

I hope Soto fails miserably. 

Soto might only be 25 still, but that body is filling out and not in a good way. IIRC, he brings practically no defensive value to the table and he’s still young.  He’s trending towards fat, he’s already slow. Just need to wait till he gets old and his hitting skills erode a little bit and he’ll be a liability that Yankees hopefully can’t get rid of after they’re stupid enough to extend him. Maybe like a Stanton 2.0. 

Edited by Moose Milligan

For the immediate time going into 2024, we're going to need a really good left handed starting pitcher to have Soto take a seat every time he's up against the Orioles. The Yankees haven't had a lefty like him in a long time and we were able to manage Judge in several games because Hyder leveraged the matchups the best he could.

We want Left on Left when pitching to Soto.

26 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

For the immediate time going into 2024, we're going to need a really good left handed starting pitcher to have Soto take a seat every time he's up against the Orioles. The Yankees haven't had a lefty like him in a long time and we were able to manage Judge in several games because Hyder leveraged the matchups the best he could.

We want Left on Left when pitching to Soto.

I think we’ll be ok. 

3 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

We don’t know what they gave up and they’ve already given up a ton of pitching. Yes, they can resign him but who knows if he wants to be there long term. It’s a panic move pure and simple. He’s trying to save his job. 

It's still a great trade and the Yankees have deep enough pockets to replenish their pitching with FAs. It doesn't reak of desperation at all to me. Literally every team should have been calling the Padres about Soto when they put him on the market because players "that good" are rarely ever available. 

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

It's still a great trade and the Yankees have deep enough pockets to replenish their pitching with FAs. It doesn't reak of desperation at all to me. Literally every team should have been calling the Padres about Soto when they put him on the market because players "that good" are rarely ever available. 

Let us have our fun and hope for the worst possible outcome.   Soto was DRS  -4 and OAA -9 playing LF last year.  We can only hope it gets even worse in NY.   Surprisingly, his 35 homers show an expected home run total of only 27 if playing all games in Yankee Stadium.   In old Yankee stadium they used to call LCF Death Valley.  I guess it’s still kind of big out there.   Good luck in NY, Juan.  NOT!

3 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

He becomes a free agent at the end of the year.  It’s a one year thing.  If they are really good, it will have been worthwhile, but they could just be mediocre. 

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Looks like Eduardo Rodriguez to the DBacks for 4/$80 mm.   Two observations:

- Not an unimaginable contract

- So much for ERod insisting on playing on the East Coast to be closer to his family.   

Seems like Ed Rod was going to veto any trade at the deadline so he didn’t risk messing anything up with his FA payday in a playoff push. He tried to fly under the radar in Detroit. 

Moving onto Luzardo, Cease, Burnes, and Skubal.

The Tigers are a team that might be interested in a 3-1 quantity over quality type trade for Skubal. Irvin, Urias, Mateo/Stowers/Norby. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Seems like Ed Rod was going to veto any trade at the deadline so he didn’t risk messing anything up with his FA payday in a playoff push. He tried to fly under the radar in Detroit. 

Moving onto Luzardo, Cease, Burnes, and Skubal.

The Tigers are a team that might be interested in a 3-1 quantity over quality type trade for Skubal. Irvin, Urias, Mateo/Stowers/Norby. 

I have to ask.......if you had Skubal, would you REALLY give him up for what you just offered??  I wouldn't.  Why on earth would the Tigers do that deal?? 

• Upvote 2