MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

He’s sort of this decade’s Nelson Cruz, defying gravity so far.  Decent chance he beats Father Time for another year, but I’ve seen too many times where that’s blown up in our face.  Not interested.  

Surely, with his long track record, and our advanced knowledge of aging curves and how different players age differently, we can have a pretty good idea on what his performance will be next year.  Right?

22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Maybe Amir Garrett or Matthew Boyd to back fill from Hall being traded.  Garrett had some beef with us last year though.

Wouldn't mind either one, but I don't know if either of them are real difference makers.  They'd be like the 4th or 5h guy out of the pen, I'm afraid we need a guy who's in the top 3 for Hyde to call.  

That said, I'm not sure if a real difference maker out of the pen exists on the FA market right now.  

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Surely, with his long track record, and our advanced knowledge of aging curves and how different players age differently, we can have a pretty good idea on what his performance will be next year.  Right?

Haha!   Let’s see what the projections are:

ZiPS .245/.310/.456

Steamer .248/.314/.451

Marcel .268/.329/.494

All much lower than his career numbers or his 2023 numbers.  It’s almost like they took age into account!   

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Haha!   Let’s see what the projections are:

ZiPS .245/.310/.456

Steamer .248/.314/.451

Marcel .268/.329/.494

All much lower than his career numbers or his 2023 numbers.  It’s almost like they took age into account!   

All prime players are alike; every old player is old in their own way.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Keygans said:

Have you seen his numbers?   He's a better bat than any of our OF/DHs... you make room for him.

He was better last year.  Not so much in 2022 with the Red Sox.  He’s 36.  Unless he’s on the magic sauce, like Nelson, he should be declining.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Maybe Amir Garrett or Matthew Boyd to back fill from Hall being traded.  Garrett had some beef with us last year though.

Garrett seems to have a beef with everyone. He was front & center in a major brawl with the Pirates in 2019 (left the mound and charged the Pirates dugout):

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2020/07/30/amir-garrett-cincinnati-reds-pittsburgh-pirates-brawl/5540276002/

So I say "no" to him.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wouldn't mind either one, but I don't know if either of them are real difference makers.  They'd be like the 4th or 5h guy out of the pen, I'm afraid we need a guy who's in the top 3 for Hyde to call.  

That said, I'm not sure if a real difference maker out of the pen exists on the FA market right now.  

I remember that Verlander and Scherzer both said that they were disappointed with a team like the Mets and their analytics department while they were there. Are we at the point now where a Matt Boyd type would sign a milb deal with us to see if we could help with a career resurgence?  With an end of ST and/or a June 1 opt out date. 

As far as JD Martinez goes… The difference between him and Nelson Cruz is Martinez is represented by Boras. Cruz wasn’t. Instead of buying Martinez and being married to him for the year, we could see how the rest of MLB plays out before the deadline and buy accordingly. Although, I really like the idea of Martinez for the young hitters. Just like Kimbrel and Burnes on the pitching side. Martinez is also very comfortable with the AL East. 

20 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Elias specifically said in his presser yesterday that he didn't anticipate any more big moves. 

I wouldn’t take too much from that.  It doesn’t mean he hasn’t engaged in things and that things don’t change quickly.

That said, he also said this in his Burnes press conference and I wouldn’t be surprised if he wants to go into ST and see what he has before making any other moves.  Maybe there is something about a guy like Heasley that they love and think he could make a big leap?  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t take too much from that.  It doesn’t mean he hasn’t engaged in things and that things don’t change quickly.

That said, he also said this in his Burnes press conference and I wouldn’t be surprised if he wants to go into ST and see what he has before making any other moves.  Maybe there is something about a guy like Heasley that they love and think he could make a big leap?  

I like Heasley's upside and have him making the pen on OD.  Could be a Cano surprise or wash out, but something in between is likeliest. I'd be happy with him just being solid.