MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

49 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Red Sox sell some 2024 wins to the Royals, giving up John Schreiber for a $400K college arm with a good A-ball season

Not sure I consider trading an aging .1 fWAR reliever as selling wins. That’s a decent deal for the Sox

On 2/13/2024 at 9:03 PM, dystopia said:

Honestly not even sure who their #5 is right now. Buehler, Ohtani, and Kershaw will start the year on the IL (or in Ohtani’s case, will DH only). I think they’d sign Montgomery too. Glasnow is likely to be sidelined at least part of the season because he always is. 

I’d definitely trade Kremer if we could get a good return for him and sign Montgomery, but bullpen is definitely a more pressing need.  

I think he Dodgers have plenty of pitching (no need to sign Monty). Even without Buehler and Kershaw the still have the following. The only reason they're slow playing Buehler's return is so he'll be available to pitch later in the season and in the postseason. And even if Glasnow misses time I imagine they'll at least get a full season out of him and Kershaw combined. 

Yamamoto
Glasnow
B.MIller
Sheehan
Paxton
Yarbrough

21 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Yeah Dodgers have plenty of pitching depth. Teams might be giving Boras the collective middle finger at this point. 

Is Ryu also a Boras guy? Can't figure out why he hasn't been signed yet.

Yes !

Hyun Jin Ryu

Position: Pitcher

Bats: Right  •  Throws: Left

6-3, 250lb (190cm, 113kg) 

Born: March 25, 1987 (Age: 36-329d) in Incheon, South Koreakr

Debut: April 2, 2013 (Age 26-008d, 20,335th in major league history)
   vs. SFG 6.1 IP, 10 H, 5 SO, 0 BB, 1 ER, L

Rookie Status: Exceeded rookie limits during 2013 season

2024 Contract Status: Free Agent

Service Time (01/2024): 11.000  •   Free Agent: 2024

Agents: Boras Corporation 

Full Name: Hyun Jin Ryu

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

Not sure I consider trading an aging .1 fWAR reliever as selling wins. That’s a decent deal for the Sox

I agree Schreiber is no great shakes but its notable directionally as camps open.    Schreiber's thrown 100 innings of 2.87 ERA last 2 years, and is one of the arm slot outliers for Clubs that care about concocting that mix so people like Ryan Mountcastle never see the same thing twice.    Some Orioles would be mad if we traded Cionel Perez for a guy like this.

Its strategically fine for the '24 Red Sox to do this, and I'd love Chris Martin with us this year.

Next level would be sending Rafael Devers and Trevor Story to the spa this season to preserve juice for future competitions.

21 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Bogart moved to 2B this spring with Kim moving to SS.  I won't be surprised if he's a $30 million Frazier in a couple of years.  Padres could be a very bad, expensive club in 3 or 4 years.

Bogaerts is twice the offensive player Frazier is or ever will be. He was extremely unlucky last season and was also playing hurt. 

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Bogaerts is twice the offensive player Frazier is or ever will be. He was extremely unlucky last season and was also playing hurt. 

He could be twice the offensive player Frazier was and still be grossly overpaid over the life of his 11 year, $280 mm contract.  Last year was fine though.   As to moving to 2B, that doesn’t hurt his value as much as people think.  Just look at Marcus Semien.  

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He could be twice the offensive player Frazier was and still be grossly overpaid over the life of his 11 year, $280 mm contract.  Last year was fine though.   As to moving to 2B, that doesn’t hurt his value as much as people think.  Just look at Marcus Semien.  

.....not to mention that Bogaerts never has to really worry about his value ever again.  He doesn't really need to work hard, nor does he need to play particularly well.  Kind of like what happened with Chris Davis.   For all intents and purposes, the money is (or will be) in the bank regardless.

My guess if Manny and Xander become higher level James McCann buy-side trades in time is about 90%.

I'm nostalgic for Manny, but Xander is in most ways his equal.

I hope Jordan Westburg goes on a Doug DeCinces like run as an AL third base almost All-Star, but Xander's someone I'd figure to be better than him for a few more years.     Guessing Xander's defensive abilities are more or less 2B-optimized now, he'd be an interesting player to push the franchise cornerstones towards 3B Gunnar, SS Holliday like some prefer.

It is going to be tough competition if/when Judge's Yankees replace DJ LeMahieu with Manny Machado.