MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

Eric Lauer signed minor league deal with Pirates.  I thought he was a very good by low option for us to take a chance on.  He was awful last year and injured but prior to that had two impressive years with 49 starts and an ERA at 3.50 over those 2 seasons.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So...if a team signs Snell or Montgomery but they aren't ready come opening day, what is their roster status? Do they still have to be on the 26/40? Can they phantom DL them?

They would be on the 40 man roster and in extended ST in all likelihood.  

34 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So...if a team signs Snell or Montgomery but they aren't ready come opening day, what is their roster status? Do they still have to be on the 26/40? Can they phantom DL them?

We signed Alex Cobb on March 20th in 2018.  IIRC he started the season staying in Florida and then went to the minors.  He went on to make his first start on April 14th.  Opening Day was March 29th.  So that was a hair over 2 weeks.  

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

We signed Alex Cobb on March 20th in 2018.  IIRC he started the season staying in Florida and then went to the minors.  He went on to make his first start on April 14th.  Opening Day was March 29th.  So that was a hair over 2 weeks.  

They must have an option remaining to be able to do that, correct?

39 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

They must have an option remaining to be able to do that, correct?

I think in our particular case, Cobb agreed to it because of the situation.  I imagine Snell and Montgomery would do the same.  Doubt they want to come up and be immediately awful after signing a contract.  At the least they'd prob do extended spring training.  

On 3/6/2024 at 3:03 PM, Billy F-Face3 said:

Most of thr delth the Orioles already have is better than Lorenzen at a fraction of the price. And they keep looking out for mote opportunities to sign or claim new pitchers. Teheran and Suarez are good examples of that.

And I would take Tyler Wells,  Cole Irvin, John Means, and Kyle Bradish iver Lorenzen any day if the week no matter what their salaries were. I'd take Teheran over Lorenzen at this point.

Lorenzen doesn't make any sense at all. 

Well Bradish and Means are hurt. Wells and Irvin are in the current rotation. The depth is Terehan. 

We’re back to where we were in November with the rotation. Just with Burnes replacing Bradish. That thread was full of everyone not wanting Wells or Irvin in the rotation. Now they both are. 

It’s all about money. Lorenzen at worst would be a David Robertson level set up man and paid similarly. At best, he could be a #3/#4 SP with Wells in the pen. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well Bradish and Means are hurt. Wells and Irvin are in the current rotation. The depth is Terehan. 

We’re back to where we were in November with the rotation. Just with Burnes replacing Bradish. That thread was full of everyone not wanting Wells or Irvin in the rotation. Now they both are. 

It’s all about money. Lorenzen at worst would be a David Robertson level set up man and paid similarly. At best, he could be a #3/#4 SP with Wells in the pen. 

I think at worst he could be a completely ineffective pitcher and a waste of money. I also don't think that's too far fetched.

I'm in agreement with the posters who've argued he really hasn't been anything beyond the replacement-level depth in our system for the past three seasons, except for his first half in Detroit and first game in Philly last year.

3 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I think at worst he could be a completely ineffective pitcher and a waste of money. I also don't think that's too far fetched.

I'm in agreement with the posters who've argued he really hasn't been anything beyond the replacement-level depth in our system for the past three seasons, except for his first half in Detroit and first game in Philly last year.

Agreed.  Lorenzen doesn't move the needle.   If you are going to acquire a pitcher, acquire one that's a difference maker.

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

1. What makes you think Lorenzen wants to go somewhere where he might not be a starter?

2. Irvin looks improved.  Means is back in May.   Teheran an Suarez are depth.   

3.  When Means comes back, Wells or Irvin to the pen, most likely.  If Irvin continues to impress it could be Wells.

MLB crawl reporting Noelvi Marte 80-game PED suspension.

Reds Candelario-India overabundance of infielders pressure valve down half a season.

In winter when fans were confused by the Cincinnati Candelario win, it makes me wonder if the preliminary result was known prior to the League, Club and Player stepping through whatever appeal process there was before the news report.

White Sox taking a flyer on Brad Keller as rotation depth.     The slow market, I heard a take a Cease trade hold up could be Snell and/or Montgomery getting done.

Aside from Tanner Scott, our own Craig Kimbrel was a high value player who moved very close to Opening Day within the last few years.   Odds against, but I still don't think it inconceivable Dylan Cease could pitch one of the first five games this season.

• Upvote 1