MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

7 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He is 25.  I am not talking AAV. I am talking total contract. 

It’s crazy that Soto and Ohtani are Adley’s age. I think we’re done with the FA market unless it’s to fill a whole created by a trade. Like Soler to replace Santander. Nothing else really makes sense or seems realistic. 

My gut says that the Red Sox are going to end up with the Japanese top SP and Corbin Burnes. Hopefully, Cohen and the Mets can help us by signing some FAs away from BOS and NYY. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

23 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So...how do you feel about our team, as currently constructed, with no more additions, cause that's basically how it's looking now.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/roster/40-man

I think we get Cease. It might just take some time though. They know our best offer, and our system. We’ve been in trade discussions with them since the deadline. They have to trade Cease. Let them shop around. Our package without Cowser/Kjerstad is likely still the best offer, unless they a pitching prospect better than Povich/Mcdermott/Johnson. A guy like DeLeon might have to be the 3rd or 4th piece. It might end up being Ortiz, Norby, Povich, and DeLeon for Cease. 

Crazy that a team is willing to pay so much for a pitcher who can't pitch next year, and it's not guaranteed that he will be the same pitcher after surgery. 

I'm also wondering if there is any risk that he worsens the elbow when he is swinging the bat next year.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we get Cease. It might just take some time though. They know our best offer, and our system. We’ve been in trade discussions with them since the deadline. They have to trade Cease. Let them shop around. Our package without Cowser/Kjerstad is likely still the best offer, unless they a pitching prospect better than Povich/Mcdermott/Johnson. A guy like DeLeon might have to be the 3rd or 4th piece. It might end up being Ortiz, Norby, Povich, and DeLeon for Cease. 

I don’t 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t 

Agree, I’d say there’s a less than 10% chance we get him. And the reason has been outlined. Due to our budget constraints, it makes sense to have a glut of depth as injury insurance throughout the season. We are trying to follow Cleveland’s model. 

4 minutes ago, joelala said:

Agree, I’d say there’s a less than 10% chance we get him. And the reason has been outlined. Due to our budget constraints, it makes sense to have a glut of depth as injury insurance throughout the season. We are trying to follow Cleveland’s model. 

The O's need a #3 starter more than they need a backup infielder.  Prospe is who just stay in Norfolk soon won't be prospects.  I believe it will be a failure this offseason if Elias doesn't acquire a #3 or better starter by free agency or trade.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So...how do you feel about our team, as currently constructed, with no more additions, cause that's basically how it's looking now.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/roster/40-man

I will be disappointed and surprised if we don’t make further moves to bolster the pitching.  I absolutely expect we will, though I don’t know if those moves will be significantly higher-profile than the last two years or not.  

11 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The O's need a #3 starter more than they need a backup infielder.  Prospe is who just stay in Norfolk soon won't be prospects.  I believe it will be a failure this offseason if Elias doesn't acquire a #3 or better starter by free agency or trade.

Oh I agree with you. But I think it will end up being a number 4 or 5 on a 1 (or maybe if we’re feeling frisky) 2 year deal   

Cease isn't much of a financial constraints guy - I've seen his next-to-last Arb for 2024 guessed about $8mm.    If we have him, we want it to skyrocket.    Even if it doubles, 2/24 is basically Gibson-Kimbrel money.

In the life is funny category, Ohtani naturally happens in a moment I'm away from refresh internet capability, and I get to find out the news from a cousin arriving to a family party.      Soto surely likes the benchmark - I'll guess in a good case for him, he could scrape something like the 50-yard line between Trout's ~$425 and Ohtani's $700 in the mid-5's.

My favorite ripple catching up on the news last night was reading Roki Sasaki asking his team to be posted basically in the next few days.

34 minutes ago, joelala said:

You have to find a reasonable trade partner. Honestly, I’d be targeting Seattle as Dipoto loves trading and he doesn’t need to make a name for himself like Getz.