Ohtani to the Blue Jays? (Update: Signs w/Dodgers for $700 million over 10 yrs)

Rustbelt

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

That study was highly, highly questionable and that "broad revenue" was not pocketed by the club, far from it.

If you don't like that article, there are others to read.  They made a crap ton of money off of Ohtani.  Google it, you can read all about it.  You don't have to listen to me.    

29 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Ohtani to Dodgers 10 years $700,000,000.  Very significant deferrals said to be his idea so the team could spend  more to be competitive.

More than 4 times the Davis contract we still complain about.  I'm sure it will help the Dodgers marketing a lot, so they'll probably still make money off him.  I'm just glad he's in the NL.  How will Dodgers fans feel if he is a good but not great DH in 5 years?

Just now, emmett16 said:

If you don't like that article, there are others to read.  They made a crap ton of money off of Ohtani.  Google it, you can read all about it.  You don't have to listen to me.    

Yeah, they had him on a rookie contract.  They made out like bandits.

They weren't paying him 70 million, more like 100 after luxury tax, annually for the performance of his 30s.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Yeah, they had him on a rookie contract.  They made out like bandits.

They weren't paying him 70 million, more like 100 after luxury tax, annually for the performance of his 30s.

Got it.  You've convinced me.  Terrible move.  Dodgers are fools and will lose their butts.  What were they thinking? 

9 minutes ago, Nite said:

What? First what salary cap? Second any salary cap or luxury tax doesn't work how you described. Salary cap leagues are more complicated so I'll just mention the luxury tax.

Teams can spend X a year and get taxed %Y over X. Could be different tiers. The X is the actual spent that year. Using our Orioles as an example Chris Davis is counting towards our luxury tax threshold. Sure just $1.2 or whatever million but it counts. So the Dodgers deferment of money means they're moving that $70m a year around and beyond the 10 years. 

So they can defer it slightly, but not significantly as is shown here where even with 400M in deferred the AAV is absolutely huge. So even in the craziest scenarios involving deferrals, I  can't fathom it dropping below 50-55M 

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure the Angelos family does.

Also 700 million over 25 years is not the same at 700 million over 10.

There is a reason Lotto gives you a lot less if you want the lump sum.

Actually, I bet ya John Angelos wouldn't mind having that cash right about now.

What you're saying is indisputably true.  Everybody knows that.

And we'll have to see the final numbers and it might change the equation moderately, but we're still talking about an unprecedented outlay of money here that is really in another stratosphere than anything that came before it, and is going to require an athletic performance equally in another stratosphere to justify it.

If he performs for the next ten years like he did in 2023 it's justified.  If he doesn't, it's going to be hard to.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

More than 4 times the Davis contract we still complain about.  I'm sure it will help the Dodgers marketing a lot, so they'll probably still make money off him.  I'm just glad he's in the NL.  How will Dodgers fans feel if he is a good but not great DH in 5 years?

I don't know enough about Ohtani's defense, but Ohtani is a good athlete and seems capable of playing the outfield.  Trout thinks Ohtani could play the outfield and another MLB executive recently speculated he thinks Ohtani will move to CF.

Maybe Ohtani will remain a pitcher for most of his contract, but I think he's one more serious arm injury from never pitching again. Ohtani isn't like Big Sloppy David Ortiz where he can only be a DH if his pitching career ends. 

How the Angels could get more (yes, more) out of Ohtani

I asked Trout if he thought Ohtani could play in the outfield instead of DHing. I also asked if he thought it was possible for the Angels to transition to a five-man rotation.

"I think for the whole season it's too much," Trout said. "What he is doing is obviously working for him. But with Ohtani, it's crazy. If you need him to go in the outfield, he could do it. I think playing outfield and pitching every fifth day - that would be interesting."

MLB Exec Predicts Shohei Ohtani Moves to CF: He's 1 of the Best Athletes in the Game

The two-time AL MVP could instead operate as a position player on defense until he's healthy enough to pitch again, according to an anonymous MLB executive.

"I would argue if he's not pitching, he's at least going to play the outfield, maybe center field," the executive said, according to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. "At least at this stage of his career, he can really run."

"He's one of the best athletes in the game. He should at least be able to play right field," they later added.