Ohtani to the Blue Jays? (Update: Signs w/Dodgers for $700 million over 10 yrs)

Rustbelt

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm surprised that the Canadian taxes would not scare off Ohtani.

I'm surprised the prospect of going to another team unlikely to have many playoff appearances didn't scare him off, also. Doesn't seem like he cares much about a playoff/World Series legacy I guess. 

Because while the Jays are decent, they have two problems right now: they can't outspend the Yankees and Red Sox, and they can't outsmart the Rays and Orioles. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm surprised that the Canadian taxes would not scare off Ohtani.

Roger's communications could open up massive revenue streams for him worldwide.  I'll be curious to see final details of the deal and wouldn't be surprised to see if he comes away with something similar to Messi's Apple TV deal.  Contract for playing the sport is only a small fraction of a global megastar's income.  Toronto very well might be able to offer him something all other franchises can't.  

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Roger's communications could open up massive revenue streams for him worldwide.  I'll be curious to see final details of the deal and wouldn't be surprised to see if he comes away with something similar to Messi's Apple TV deal.  Contract for playing the sport is only a small fraction of a global megastar's income.  Toronto very well might be able to offer him something all other franchises can't.  

Yep.  I posted this in another thread, probably should put in the Ohtani thread.

For Blue Jays owner Rogers, signing Shohei Ohtani is about more than just baseball | CBC News

Unlike every other American team, the Blue Jays broadcast every game to an entire country. Seaborn says that means Rogers can offer a bigger audience for baseball's biggest star.

Sounds like big plans for Ohtani as an employee of Rogers Communication.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm surprised the prospect of going to another team unlikely to have many playoff appearances didn't scare him off, also. Doesn't seem like he cares much about a playoff/World Series legacy I guess. 

Because while the Jays are decent, they have two problems right now: they can't outspend the Yankees and Red Sox, and they can't outsmart the Rays and Orioles. 

I don't think I'd call the Jay's decent.  They are a really good young team that underperformed last year.  They are going to be a PITA regardless of a potential Ohtani signing.  With Ohtani they are darn scary.  With that said, bring it on.  I like our guys ;) 

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

FWIW about Canadian taxes maybe a large percentage of Ohtani’s contract will be classified as a bonus. I have my doubts they he will ever sign with the Jays. 

When I add up Canada federal (33%) and Ontario (13.16%) tax rates for the highest brackets, that only adds up to 46%. What am I missing here?

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I don't think I'd call the Jay's decent.  They are a really good young team that underperformed last year.  They are going to be a PITA regardless of a potential Ohtani signing.  With Ohtani they are darn scary.  With that said, bring it on.  I like our guys ;) 

If they were really good they wouldn't have underperformed. 

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

FWIW about Canadian taxes maybe a large percentage of Ohtani’s contract will be classified as a bonus. I have my doubts they he will ever sign with the Jays. 

That's one big up-front signing bonus, some sketchy-level accounting, or a pending rewrite of the tax code.