Realistic Free Agent #3 Pitchers

ScGO's

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Are we talking about the same team?  I’ve been discussing The Baltimore Orioles.  

But, hey.  Maybe the sun will rise on the West tomorrow, we sign Snell, extend Adley & Gunnar, trade for Burnes and extend him.   Thats what’s I’d do.  

I don't think you can extend any of them if you are only going to be willing to spend for one.

Who would do that to themselves?

If a Snell level deal keeps them from doing anything else they weren't going to do anything else anyway.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hey guys, they signed a free agent!  Let's show 'em how much we dislike it by signing big free agent contracts with teams that aren't them!

I just don't get the logic.

If I were a member of a sports team I'd be stoked they brought somebody in during the offseason in order to improve the team.

If I were an Oriole I'd be stoked that ownership authorized them to spend the money.

I don't want to sign a long term deal with a team that only has the money to sign me.

Oh, I can sign a ten year deal here and watch all of my teammates get traded away when they get expensive?  Cool.  That sounds like a good career choice.

It’s pitiful with all the gimmicks money we get. I thought after the Elias hiring and good stuff that John would give Elias a reasonable amount of money to work with. 

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

It’s pitiful with all the gimmicks money we get. I thought after the Elias hiring and good stuff that John would give Elias a reasonable amount of money to work with. 

There are lot of fans that seem to have internalized that spending money is bad, and that thinking this makes you a smart gm, rather than being a smart gm is completely separate from how cheap your owner is

12 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Who would you sign to make the team better that would give us a chance to win a WS? 

Montgomery, Nola, Gray and E Rod before they signed

On 1/11/2024 at 3:30 PM, wildbillhiccup said:

I went back and read his post. There was literally nothing in it but opinion and conjecture. I really hope that it takes more than that for you to consider something to be "well reasoned". 

An opinion can be well reasoned and persuasive.  I thought it was. That's my opinion. We good? 😁

Hindsight 20/20… Erod, and Stroman, were the two pitchers that made sense with our budget. Montgomery is also pretty close to perfect fit at 5/125. I just don’t think we have any money we’re willing to spend. Not even the 1/12 to spend on Gibson. 

The only reason someone like Paxton/Ryu makes sense is if it’s for 1/8 and we couldn’t get a reliever to sign for that amount. Therefore kicking Wells to the pen. 

The best fits for us currently would be to see if one of Paxton, Ryu, Brasier, Robertson, or Ottavino, bites at 1/8 or less. 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Of this list, I think I like Ryu best for his upside of a pure #3 kind of guy. If you consider our rotation as having a lot of options and not needing as many inning-sponges as last year, he's a guy that makes sense to mix in and spread the load. So, not depending on him for 170 innings, but just kind of have him 5 and dive and bring in Wells for a couple innings. Maybe you skip him a few times here and there to keep him fresh, and give a spot start to someone, etc. 

Having another LHP would be nice. Wall helps. 

This all applies to Paxton, too. But I just like Ryu better. Doesn't sound like Paxton's knees are going to cooperate much to me.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Of this list, I think I like Ryu best for his upside of a pure #3 kind of guy. If you consider our rotation as having a lot of options and not needing as many inning-sponges as last year, he's a guy that makes sense to mix in and spread the load. So, not depending on him for 170 innings, but just kind of have him 5 and dive and bring in Wells for a couple innings. Maybe you skip him a few times here and there to keep him fresh, and give a spot start to someone, etc. 

Having another LHP would be nice. Wall helps. 

This all applies to Paxton, too. But I just like Ryu better. Doesn't sound like Paxton's knees are going to cooperate much to me.

I think Paxton might have more upside than Ryu, but the risk is much higher.  So, I’d also prefer Ryu of the pitchers on this list.  And I’m becoming more convinced that this is where we’re going, given the reported likelihood that the White Sox will hold on to Cease.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Paxton might have more upside than Ryu, but the risk is much higher.  So, I’d also prefer Ryu of the pitchers on this list.  And I’m becoming more convinced that this is where we’re going, given the reported likelihood that the White Sox will hold on to Cease.  

Yep. With Paxton I just worry about it being another Givens. Knee issues in your late 30s don't just magically go away. 

Neither guy really inspires a ton of confidence, but you just hope they can help for a portion of the season until a young guy emerges or you grab a guy at the deadline. 

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Junis is actually quite interesting. I had no idea he had been that effective the past two years for the Giants. He was horrible for the Royals before that so I never even bothered to look at his stats. The projections still don’t like him for all his ugly Royals years, but the Royals are a disaster pitching organization and the Giants have had some successes. There’s a good narrative there in his favor.

Junis would be an interesting as another “is he a SP or RP?” option with Wells and Hall, and probably willing to sign an affordable deal for a team willing to give him another shot at starting.

With the depth of Wells, Irvin and potentially McDermott and Povich at some point in 2024, would signing Paxton or Ryu be the worse thing? Even if they end up giving you 18-22 starts, the Orioles should have the depth to cover down on those other starts.

Looks like Paxton is out, that should get things going if the 1 Year 12 Million is accurate. I also added Jakob Junis to this list, reluctantly. There's also a handful of "interesting" milb/small deal types out there, but nothing even sniffing #3 potential.

Hyun Jin Ryu - 1 Year 12 Million

Mike Clevinger - 3 Year 45 Million

Michael Lorenzen - 2 year 26 Million

Alex Wood - 1 year 13 Million

Trevor Bauer - 1 Year 6 Million

Jakob Junis - 2 Year 20 Million