What are your expectations for Grayson Rodriguez in 2024?

Jim'sKid26

On 12/16/2023 at 10:52 PM, Frobby said:

I’ll take @Can_of_corn’s side in part.  There’s no evidence that the style of a young  pitcher affects whether a good second half carries over to the next season more than for another style of pitcher.  At least, not yet.  

Where I part with @can_of_corn is that I don’t think giving one example means anything with respect to whether there’s a general tendency for good second half results to carry over for a young pitcher.  It needs to be researched more generally, which I may do sometime soon.  

From a Fangraphs chat today:

Ben: Does ZiPS weight within the season at all? For example, if 2 players had the exact same overall stats and underlying stats for the full year last but one player was great in the 1st half and terrible in the 2nd half and the other was terrible the 1st half and great the 2nd half, would ZiPS view them differently with all else being equal?

12:49

Dan Szymborski: ZiPS doesn’t as I’ve found that so noisy that it lost its value

12:50

Dan Szymborski: It’s one of those things that there’s likely signal in there, but it’s simply overwhelmed by the noise

12:50

Dan Szymborski: It’s like bobbing for apples in a swimming pool

• Thanks 2