What about Mayo?

RZNJ

38 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I don't think Holiday or Mayo make the OD roster.

Holliday will unless he has a terrible spring, which I doubt.  I think Mayo will be one of the best 13 but will get sent down.   

I can say by looking at the lineups through the first four games, the team wants Holliday and Kjerstad to win jobs.   Mayo and Cowser to start at Norfolk.  Of course, nothing is written in stone.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

I don't think Holiday or Mayo make the OD roster.

It’s going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out. I do feel bad for Norby, Stowers, who could make a lot of opening day rosters. 

The cutthroat way of doing business says win at all costs. I will look at the Dodgers AAA depth, they are not over compensating the waiver wire for depth. Before knowing, I would imagine they have players in waiting that exceed the Orioles (historically)

17 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Huh?

Holliday has played two games at 2B only.   Westburg has played 3B in both of his starts.   Holliday isn’t competing with Westburg for the 2B job.  Holliday is competing against Urias who has played both 3B and 2B.  The plan, IMO, is that Westburg is the 3B, Holliday the 2B, and Urías backing up both spots.  Mayo would have to beat out Westburg for 3B or have Holliday have a terrible spring (Westburg would move back to 2B) but I don’t think either is likely although we might feel that Mayo is one of the best 5 hitters on the team by the end of spring.

The plan to have Mateo backup CF is so that Kjerstad can be the 4th OF.  Cowser, Hilliard, and McKenna aren’t quite as needed if Mateo can play out there.  Kjerstad has two LF starts already.  He’s being prepped to get some LF/RF/DH ABs.   O’Hearn is a virtual lock to make the team.  The only way for Kjerstad to get significant ABs is to play LF against some RHP.  Some DH time against RHP when O’Hearn plays 1B, and some time in RF when Santander is rested or DH’d but the LF AB’s might be significant if the defense looks ok.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Holliday has played two games at 2B only.   Westburg has played 3B in both of his starts.   Holliday isn’t competing with Westburg for the 2B job.  Holliday is competing against Urias who has played both 3B and 2B.  The plan, IMO, is that Westburg is the 3B, Holliday the 2B, and Urías backing up both spots.  Mayo would have to beat out Westburg for 3B or have Holliday have a terrible spring (Westburg would move back to 2B) but I don’t think either is likely although we might feel that Mayo is one of the best 5 hitters on the team by the end of spring.

The plan to have Mateo backup CF is so that Kjerstad can be the 4th OF.  Cowser, Hilliard, and McKenna aren’t quite as needed if Mateo can play out there.  Kjerstad has two LF starts already.  He’s being prepped to get some LF/RF/DH ABs.   O’Hearn is a virtual lock to make the team.  The only way for Kjerstad to get significant ABs is to play LF against some RHP.  Some DH time against RHP when O’Hearn plays 1B, and some time in RF when Santander is rested or DH’d but the LF AB’s might be significant if the defense looks ok.

Holliday isn’t “competing” vs anybody. He has a spot on the roster when he shows he is ready. He is playing 2B because Gunnar is the SS.  I think Holliday needs to have a very good spring to make the opening day roster, not have a terrible one not to.

Your logic on Mateo being the backup CF really breaks down, since you are talking about lineups thru 4 games, and he hasn’t been in CF for any of them. On the other hand, Cowser has and was in the leadoff spot yesterday.

Edited by DirtyBird

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Holliday isn’t “competing” vs anybody. He has a spot on the roster when he shows he is ready. He is playing 2B because Gunnar is the SS.  I think Holliday needs to have a very good spring to make the opening day roster, not have a terrible one not to.

Your logic on Mateo being the backup CF really breaks down, since you are talking about lineups thru 4 games, and he hasn’t been in CF for any of them. On the other hand, Cowser has and was in the leadoff spot yesterday.

When is he ready?  When he's the best option?  That's competing.