Is anyone upset that a team just shelled out $1 billion???

DocJJ

35 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not really.  The NFL and the NBA are packed with action and excitement.  Let's not try to intellectualize something that doesn't require it.  

To each their own. I love the NFL, but NBA basketball is some of the most boring nonsense I’ve ever tried to watch. It’s just back and forth, back and forth. Maybe it’s just because I don’t have a team to root for, but I hate it. NCAA basketball is way more entertaining. 

The biggest issue is just having other teams able to outbid us for our own players. If Gunnar gets taken by the Yankees, I’ll be cursing MLB and calling for a salary cap until I die. I really wish I could have enjoyed sports before free agency was a thing and you were able to root for a lot of players for their whole careers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RarityFlaherty said:

The biggest issue is just having other teams able to outbid us for our own players. If Gunnar gets taken by the Yankees, I’ll be cursing MLB and calling for a salary cap until I die. I really wish I could have enjoyed sports before free agency was a thing and you were able to root for a lot of players for their whole careers. 

As opposed to Cleveland being well....Cleveland and losing out to Miami for Lebron?

It's just a shame when players have a choice for which team they want to play, makes a man wish for the reserve clause!

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As opposed to Cleveland being well....Cleveland and losing out to Miami for Lebron?

It's just a shame when players have a choice for which team they want to play, makes a man wish for the reserve clause!

Who cares about Lebron? I definitely don’t. I’m just talking about keeping O’s players around. I want to see more players like Cal who stay with the same team their whole careers. I’d probably spend more money buying jerseys and memorabilia if that were the case. Now, I don’t usually buy anything until the player retires because it’s a waste of money if guy leaves the following year. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't watch the NBA but you put stick me in a room and tell me I have to watch one of the NBA, NASCAR or FIFA I'm taking the NBA.

Guys driving in a circle for 500 miles, whoohoo.

I’m no NASCAR fan, but I’d easily take watching guys driving in circles over guys running back and forth on a court. 

2 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Who cares about Lebron? I definitely don’t. I’m just talking about keeping O’s players around. I want to see more players like Cal who stay with the same team their whole careers. I’d probably spend more money buying jerseys and memorabilia if that were the case. Now, I don’t usually buy anything until the player retires because it’s a waste of money if guy leaves the following year. 

The main thing keeping Gunnar from staying an Oriole is Angelos.

It's pretty offensive to me to suggest that payroll should be kept at such a level that the Orioles, who are unwilling to spend, can keep their free agents because no one else will be allowed to pay them more.

The problem isn't the teams spending, it's the teams not spending.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Find one better.

I didn't say the most accomplished, I didn't say the mos records.  I just said the best.

If you can find someone better in the history of the game who can throw 100 mph fastballs and hit 450+ foot homers, I'd love to see it.  

I already gave you one based on the numbers. You said best ever. Not moat talented or highest potential, best ever. Which imo is laughable. The guy has been in the league 4-5 years. 

Ruth hit more homers and won more games. Period.

Edited by E-D-D-I-E

2 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

I already gave you one based on the numbers. You said best ever. Not moat talented or highest potential, best ever. Which imo is laughable. The guy has been in the league 4-5 years. 

I didn’t say best stats, which you seem to think is what I said. Not the most accomplished, doesn’t hold the most records. That’s not the argument I’m making. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The main thing keeping Gunnar from staying an Oriole is Angelos.

It's pretty offensive to me to suggest that payroll should be kept at such a level that the Orioles, who are unwilling to spend, can keep their free agents because no one else will be allowed to pay them more.

The problem isn't the teams spending, it's the teams not spending.

When it comes to MLB, I don’t really care about anything besides the Orioles. I don’t care about what everyone’s payroll is, I just care that we are able to keep our guys around. If that means a salary cap, I’m fine with it. If that means a salary floor, I’m fine with that too. It’s not necessarily about keeping payrolls low. 

3 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

Cy Young won the most games, is he the greatest pitcher?

Just now, RarityFlaherty said:

When it comes to MLB, I don’t really care about anything besides the Orioles. I don’t care about what everyone’s payroll is, I just care that we are able to keep our guys around. If that means a salary cap, I’m fine with it. If that means a salary floor, I’m fine with that too. It’s not necessarily about keeping payrolls low. 

Do you think players should have the freedom to choose what team they play for?