O’s Sign Suarez and Perez

Roll Tide

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Weird. Only 5.6 K/9 in VEWL and 7.3 K/9 in KBO last year. What could have happened since winter ball that has made him apparently a completely different guy at age 34? Would be an amazing story if he turns into something.

This article at MLB.com cites a mechanical tweak with his delivery, with the hips.
Just eyeballing it, I see a compact, easy delivery that could set up the explosive fastball.

Pitcher List's Nick Pollack most days does a podcast rundown of the previous day's performances, and Suarez was the pop-up pitcher of Tuesday.

He singled out for praise non-violent mechanics and the 4-seam registering 10/28 whiffs, but skimming Statcast data also characterized all of IVB, extension and VAA as not looking great.     He mentioned not seeing much in way of secondaries.

My takeaway - easy cheese an inning at a time?

Only Keegan Akin has options among Roster Resource's today guesses for last man in the bullpen while Means/Bradish are down.

Arsenal report being thin, seems like more than once through the order could be tough, so he may not be as much of a challenge to Wells-Irvin as it seemed yesterday.

32 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Pitcher List's Nick Pollack most days does a podcast rundown of the previous day's performances, and Suarez was the pop-up pitcher of Tuesday.

He singled out for praise non-violent mechanics and the 4-seam registering 10/28 whiffs, but skimming Statcast data also characterized all of IVB, extension and VAA as not looking great.     He mentioned not seeing much in way of secondaries.

My takeaway - easy cheese an inning at a time?

Only Keegan Akin has options among Roster Resource's today guesses for last man in the bullpen while Means/Bradish are down.

Arsenal report being thin, seems like more than once through the order could be tough, so he may not be as much of a challenge to Wells-Irvin as it seemed yesterday.

Yeah this is why I think his role is really going to be bullpen. In theory maybe they are stretching him out as an emergency starting option or simply because if he doesn't make the team he will start for Norfolk. But throwing him against the Phillies top of lineup indicates to me they wanted to see how his stuff plays against ML hitters. 

With Wells and Irvin in the rotation, the team is in need of both a late inning man and a long man. He could maybe do either. Akin is another multi-inning option who also is seeing a fastball velocity surge. 

Edited by interloper

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Yeah this is why I think his role is really going to be bullpen. In theory maybe they are stretching him out as an emergency starting option or simply because if he doesn't make the team he will start for Norfolk. But throwing him against the Phillies top of lineup indicates to me they wanted to see how his stuff plays against ML hitters. 

With Wells and Irvin in the rotation, the team is in need of both a late inning man and a long man. He could maybe do either. Akin is another multi-inning option who also is seeing a fastball velocity surge. 

I like the one inning idea. If he can give you 70 dominant innings he’d be super valuable. 

14 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I like the one inning idea. If he can give you 70 dominant innings he’d be super valuable

Yes, hard to argue with that! 

If we go with the one inning theory what does that do to our bullpen?

Would we be OK with DFA of say Webb to give Suarez a shot?

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Yes, hard to argue with that! 

If we go with the one inning theory what does that do to our bullpen?

Would we be OK with DFA of say Webb to give Suarez a shot?

I would be OK with DFA'ing Webb. He might even clear waivers, unless the Angels decide to take him back.

8 hours ago, rm5678 said:

I would be OK with DFA'ing Webb. He might even clear waivers, unless the Angels decide to take him back.

I'd try and keep him, he did well for us last year before Hyde ran him into the ground.

15 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I'd try and keep him, he did well for us last year before Hyde ran him into the ground.

There’s two choices.  Either he makes the 8 man bullpen or he’s exposed to waivers.  As of today I don’t think he makes the bullpen but it’s borderline.  Assuming Wells and Irvin in the rotation.

1. Kimbrel

2. Cano

3. Coulombe

4. Tate

5. Baumann

6. Perez

7. Albert Suarez

8. Teheran

Akin, Baker can be optioned.   Tate and Cano are the only relievers with options, I believe, which presents a problem of reliever shuttling although GRod, Kremer, and Wells can all be optioned so there’s a chance for some creativity there.

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

There’s two choices.  Either he makes the 8 man bullpen or he’s exposed to waivers.  As of today I don’t think he makes the bullpen but it’s borderline.  Assuming Wells and Irvin in the rotation.

1. Kimbrel

2. Cano

3. Coulombe

4. Tate

5. Baumann

6. Perez

7. Albert Suarez

8. Teheran

Akin, Baker can be optioned.   Tate and Cano are the only relievers with options, I believe, which presents a problem of reliever shuttling although GRod, Kremer, and Wells can all be optioned so there’s a chance for some creativity there.

I'd much rather wave Baumann than Webb. Also Teheran can start in AAA as depth/insurance, though he's looked really good so far so he may force his way onto the team.

4 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I'd much rather wave Baumann than Webb. Also Teheran can start in AAA as depth/insurance, though he's looked really good so far so he may force his way onto the team.

Hyde loves Baumann and it sounds like he’s looking good this spring.  It could come down to Baumann vs Webb.   I think Baumann has a chance to have more impact.

Roster Resource shows Dillon Tate with 4.048 service to date so he hasn't hit that options vanish level.

Just like Hays or Mountcastle could have long-standing roles challenged, I think even if Tate is okay he might fall into the Up/Down shuttle for the 2024 Orioles.

It's Thursday the 7th, three weeks to Opening Day.    Different phases of baseball life, but best roster goes for Albert Suarez and Jackson Holliday the same.    The AL East race wants and needs your best.

I believe generally unsupported by past performances velos by guys like Cole Irvin and Albert Suarez have very low chances of sustaining 26.5 weeks, but that's what the shuttle is for.     Friends don't let friends throw slow.

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

I’m hardly a Baumann fan, but he definitely has more potential than Webb.  

Neither Suarez are on the 40 man roster.   They signed minor league contracts.   I don't know if they have opt outs.   But coming from the KBO they may not have one.

If they can begin the season in the minors that is probably where they are placed.   Albert has no options left but Andrew has one left.  They bother add depth to the O's pitching.

Edited by wildcard

19 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’m hardly a Baumann fan, but he definitely has more potential than Webb.  

Hyde is saying he like the way Baumann is throwing this spring.  I have not heard much about Webb this spring,