Would the addition of Paxton and Stephenson make the Off-season shopping seem OK?

Jim'sKid26

5 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I hope everyone saying no to Paxton is also in the camp of saying no to Cease

Paxton Career era 3.69 / ERA+ 112 / FIP 3.46 / BB9 2.8 / K9 9.9 / WHIP 1.24

Cease  Career era 3.83 / ERA+ 113 / FIP 3.86 / BB9 4.0 / K9 10.8 / WHIP 1.35

They are pretty darn close and Paxton doesn’t cost any prospects.  

I would love the early career James Paxton who amassed all of those impressive career statistics.  The recent almost-always injured and ineffective Paxton, not so much.  

44 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Low expectations Sir … John Angelos been sending you honey potion with your season ticket bill. Paxton and Means are both severe injury risks. Why do we keep wasting money on that type of player. Hopefully they learned from Givens. 

Injury risks are why teams go into a season with more than 5 starting pitchers.  All teams have pitching injuries.   It’s okay to have some pitchers who carry greater than average injury risk, so long as you have your backup plans in place.  

Also, I don’t understand what lesson we were supposed to learn from Givens, who had made 54+ appearances in every full season of his career.   

17 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I would love the early career James Paxton who amassed all of those impressive career statistics.  The recent almost-always injured and ineffective Paxton, not so much.  

He’s  been dominant every year he wasn’t injured 2019 being the last one.  Starting 2020 he battled injuries.  TJ in 2021 and then a hamstring.  I think if the FO deems him healthy, he’d be a good gamble. When he is healthy he’s been very good.  

Edited by emmett16

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Injury risks are why teams go into a season with more than 5 starting pitchers.  All teams have pitching injuries.   It’s okay to have some pitchers who carry greater than average injury risk, so long as you have your backup plans in place.  

Also, I don’t understand what lesson we were supposed to learn from Givens, who had made 54+ appearances in every full season of his career.   

Or you pay for value and avoid high risk retreads 

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Or you pay for value and avoid high risk retreads 

Fine, but it appears we aren’t willing to pay FA prices for a low risk TOR pitcher (if there is such a thing).   So, the question becomes what’s a viable alternative.   

I don’t have to like this approach to discuss it.  You’ve made it clear you don’t like the cost (in talent) of the guys we possibly could trade for.   

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fine, but it appears we aren’t willing to pay FA prices for a low risk TOR pitcher (if there is such a thing).   So, the question becomes what’s a viable alternative.   

I don’t have to like this approach to discuss it.  You’ve made it clear you don’t like the cost (in talent) of the guys we possibly could trade for.   

Guy.. as in Cease. Who knows what is the asking for one of the Mariners, Marlins, or Astros guys. There aren’t enough rumors about the Orioles to figure out if Elias is too cheap or Getz is the problem versus other owners. Problem is I don’t think Elias is willing to trade a bundle of prospects for a guy he won’t be allowed to extend. 

My general thought about Mike is that he will be gone soon if we do not get a new owner. He’s basically handcuffed trying to get us the World Series that we haven’t had in 40 years. 

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Guy.. as in Cease. Who knows what is the asking for one of the Mariners, Marlins, or Astros guys. There aren’t enough rumors about the Orioles to figure out if Elias is too cheap or Getz is the problem versus other owners. Problem is I don’t think Elias is willing to trade a bundle of prospects for a guy he won’t be allowed to extend. 

My general thought about Mike is that he will be gone soon if we do not get a new owner. He’s basically handcuffed trying to get us the World Series that we haven’t had in 40 years. 

The Mariner's ship sailed after the Robbie Ray trade and acquisitions of Garver, Haniger and Railey. There's really no point is even mentioning them as a viable trade partner anymore. I'm also not convinced any of their young starting pitchers were available in the first place. They clearly were looking to cut payroll that's why they traded their second most expensive starting pitcher. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

If the Dodgers have filled up their rotation, does that mean Kershaw is still available? I say target Kershaw if he's healthy. Do your best to sell him on the idea of finishing his career on a young world series contending team. His leadership could go a long way for the pitching staff.

Maybe I'm dreaming but it's nice to dream sometimes.

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

If the Dodgers have filled up their rotation, does that mean Kershaw is still available? I say target Kershaw if he's healthy. Do your best to sell him on the idea of finishing his career on a young world series contending team. His leadership could go a long way for the pitching staff.

I don't know. Doesn't even seem like the Dodgers are targeting Kershaw 😉

36 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I don't know. Doesn't even seem like the Dodgers are targeting Kershaw 😉

Kershaw had shoulder surgery.  Out until at least mid season.   Shoulders are tough to predict.

Edited by wildcard

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

They aren’t afraid to start the season with more than 5 rotation arms. I bet they’ll bring Kershaw back and have him ready to slot in for whoever’s arm falls off by July / august