My biggest fear for 2024

ChuckS

53 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’ve said it before a few dozen times here but this thread is a good example:

If the Orioles won the World Series in 5 games some people here would be upset that it wasn’t won in 4. 

Or, the Orioles don't drastically change the roster to win another WS

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

How often do major trades happen between OD and the end of July? 

Or are you suggesting Hyde will see the light, and have a quick hook for underperforming vets in favor of giving high upside rookies a chance to play?

I was not talking about trades.  I am talking about promotions.

I think Elias/Hyde may be a little faster to put players on the IL if he has players behind them that are ready to play in the majors.

My biggest fear for 2024 has nothing to do with baseball, but since this is an Orioles forum and not a politics forum, I’ll stick to the Orioles.  

My biggest fear in 2024 has nothing to do with the OP.  My fear is that we don’t acquire more pitching and then suffer significant injuries or disappointments with our staff.  

As others have pointed out, the only way the players mentioned get buried or sit on the bench is if our veterans are playing very well and we are winning.  That is not something I worry about.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

No significant trades are made.

Mateo, Urias, Mountcastle, and O’Hearn all make the big league roster. 

Hyde, who has shown a tendency to ride-out players with tenure regardless of their performance, continues to give the above guys significant playing time for much of the season.

Ortiz, Norby, Cowser, and Kjerstad rot in  Triple A or get buried on the bench in Baltimore.  

Mayo and Holliday arrivals are further delayed. 

How likely is this all to happen?

Wondering what you mean by riding out players with tenure. Mateo and Frazier were bench by the end of the season. Whatever their weaknesses they both ended up with positive WAR for the season. Mateo saw his AB's cut back in June, then became a bench player. Frazier had an .871 in July. Arguably Kjerstad and Cowser could have played more, but Hays, Santander, and Hicks all performed well. Can't really fault Hyde for sticking with them. Maybe we could have played some of the young guys earlier, but that is mostly on Elias, not Hyde, and even so our guys put up 100+ wins so I don't think you can say it was regardless of performance. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

It could be pretty poor if there was potential for 100-105 wins otherwise.  

Anyway, my OP asked how likely all this was to happen.  I didn't ask what number of wins would make you blindly satisfied with roster construction and management. 

It is a spectrum .. if 95 and out in wild card game vs 95 and run the table as wild card and win WS.

i would agree with the argument more with the first and I couldn’t care less who sits in AAA if the second occurs 

Edited by tntoriole

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My biggest fear for 2024 has nothing to do with baseball, but since this is an Orioles forum and not a politics forum, I’ll stick to the Orioles.  

My biggest fear in 2024 has nothing to do with the OP.  My fear is that we don’t acquire more pitching and then suffer significant injuries or disappointments with our staff.  

As others have pointed out, the only way the players mentioned get buried or sit on the bench is if our veterans are playing very well and we are winning.  That is not something I worry about.  

Agreed on all points. 

Honestly, my biggest fear is some disaster and missing the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Hyde, who has shown a tendency to ride-out players with tenure regardless of their performance, continues to give the above guys significant playing time for much of the season.

Ortiz, Norby, Cowser, and Kjerstad rot in  Triple A or get buried on the bench in Baltimore.  

Does this mean that the Orioles gain an extra year of control over Ortiz, Norby, Cowser and Kjerstad (and I assume Holliday too)?

I know that's a frustrating consideration and it would probably not be well received by players, but the GM would have just extended the FV of this group another year. There are worse outcomes to fear, IMO.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Wondering what you mean by riding out players with tenure. Mateo and Frazier were bench by the end of the season. Whatever their weaknesses they both ended up with positive WAR for the season. Mateo saw his AB's cut back in June, then became a bench player. Frazier had an .871 in July. Arguably Kjerstad and Cowser could have played more, but Hays, Santander, and Hicks all performed well. Can't really fault Hyde for sticking with them. Maybe we could have played some of the young guys earlier, but that is mostly on Elias, not Hyde, and even so our guys put up 100+ wins so I don't think you can say it was regardless of performance. 

Not really.  Mateo was still starting a full third of the games.  That was still WAY too much and not exactly just a bench player.  I fully agree with the OP that sometimes he sticks with his vets way too long and way too much, even when their role is 'lessened' they still get way too many at bats.  I know we won 100 games, but even with that I don't think the roster, lineups and management was perfect in the way they handled some of the situations.  

3 hours ago, ChuckS said:

This is exactly what I am expecting and people are fooling themselves if they think this won't happen

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I agree with this.  This is a scenario that is more likely to lead to the O's missing the playoffs, if it occurs.

16 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I agree with this.  This is a scenario that is more likely to lead to the O's missing the playoffs, if it occurs.

Yes but I feel like it leads back to OP. Because they won't trade any of the prospects to get a pitcher (regardless if its Cease or someone else), yet they will just be stashed in AAA. I have no interest in the Tides being champions again. 

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

Is it a waste though if you're winning 95 games?  Isn't that the point of having a good farm system?  Winning games?

it worked so well after 2014.  I mean 96 wins!  I think the O's won the World Series in 2015 because 96 wins. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Very likely if no trades are made that this is exactly what will happen, except the O's will sign a veteran bat to further muddle the picture.

• Upvote 1