O’s acquire …Tyler Nevin

StillanOfan

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mancini learned to play outfield in the majors after being a 1B in the minors and college.

I hardly think it would take Norby a full season to "decent".

Who could’ve foreseen Norby might need to learn to play OF? Totally unknowable. Oh well guess he’ll have to learn that in Norfolk. 

The role is platoon DH that goes down when Holliday comes up.  Norby and Mayo wouldn’t (and shouldn’t) be a consideration for that role and I don’t think the team is ready to give them more full-time roles.  Nevin likely optimizes offense among the remaining options.

2024 ZIPS OPS projection vs left-handed pitching

Henderson - 769

Westburg - 761

Norby - 726

Urias - 715

Mayo - 712

Mullins - 711

Nevin - 711

Stowers - 694

Mateo - 693

Holliday - 693

McCann - 685

Kjerstad - 677

O’Hearn - 676

Cowser - 675

McKenna - 668

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

Who could’ve foreseen Norby might need to learn to play OF? Totally unknowable. Oh well guess he’ll have to learn that in Norfolk. 

With Holliday going to see a lot of time at 2B to prep him for the majors, have to imagine Norby is going to get a lot of corner outfield time. I'd also like to see him get some 3B time to try and make him a little more versatile though I don't think he has the hands or first step quickness to be good there.

• Upvote 1

When Elias traded for Nevin a 2nd time this was a possibility. Isn’t Nevin the type of player you want as a bench player while Norby learns OF everyday in AAA?

Also, why the Nevin dislike?  He’s been a part of this org since August of 2020, minus his haitus with the tigers last year. 

For the “homegrowners” Nevin qualifies as an Oriole farmhand in my book. He’s only 26. This isn’t Frazier or Odor. 

48 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

With Holliday going to see a lot of time at 2B to prep him for the majors, have to imagine Norby is going to get a lot of corner outfield time. I'd also like to see him get some 3B time to try and make him a little more versatile though I don't think he has the hands or first step quickness to be good there.

I don’t see how there will be that much corner OF time available for him with Kjerstad and Stowers in AAA, in addition to whatever emergency CF options we have down there, and it shouldn’t be long before Beavers is promoted if he picks up where he left off at Bowie, and even Fabian should have a shot at promotion if he can cut down on his K’s.

Seems like the only hope for Norby in the organization is as a mostly full time DH when some veterans move on.

4 hours ago, waroriole said:

Tyler Nevin is on the 40 man. Those spots aren’t that precious. 

Go tell Mike Elias that. You don’t put someone on there until you have to. 

Are people worried Nevin will be taking at bats away all year? This is a temporary move. If it somehow morphs into something else it’s because he is hammering the ball. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

When Elias traded for Nevin a 2nd time this was a possibility. Isn’t Nevin the type of player you want as a bench player while Norby learns OF everyday in AAA?

Also, why the Nevin dislike?  He’s been a part of this org since August of 2020, minus his haitus with the tigers last year. 

For the “homegrowners” Nevin qualifies as an Oriole farmhand in my book. He’s only 26. This isn’t Frazier or Odor. 

Who cares about the home grown crap?  He just isn't very good,  regardless of what organization he came up with or has been a part of.   Heck McKenna is home grown and most are glad his time is likely up.  It's about talent, and right now Nevin is potentially using a roster spot that most would rather see filed with a more talented player.   I get the arguments for him,  but they are outweighed, imo, by him just not being very good. 

6 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Who cares about the home grown crap?  He just isn't very good,  regardless of what organization he came up with or has been a part of.   Heck McKenna is home grown and most are glad his time is likely up.  It's about talent, and right now Nevin is potentially using a roster spot that most would rather see filed with a more talented player.   I get the arguments for him,  but they are outweighed, imo, by him just not being very good. 

People do care about the “homegrown” stuff. I’ll admit, it’s a cool storyline, but I also just want to win. Maybe it’s not the homegrown stuff as much as some people identify certain players with the losing years.  Mountcastle and Hays somehow catch a lot of flack too.  While not perfect, they catch way too much flack.  

Talent?  .798 OPS vs LHP. Urias doesn’t hit lefties well. 

Nevin could be DFA’d after three games, or be this year’s Steve Pearce/Danny Valencia. Either way, that doesn’t affect that Norby needs to learn LF, and the 4th bench spot will be used for matchups as long as we have the luxury. 

We'll see Cole Ragans on his 2nd turn in the Kansas City series for the short short term, and perhaps both Marco Gonzales and Martin Perez in Pittsburgh (thanks for not throwing Paul Skenes yet, Pirates!)

I saw Ragans once this spring and got a Bedard vibe.     Obviously he only really put it together for a partial season last summer, but some analysts are over the moon for him.

The acid test if Nevin lasts more than a few series is who will the Orioles compete against Carlos Rodon and Nestor Cortes with in key games in a month.

Maybe our AAA coaches really can devise tougher practice than actually competing with Sandoval-Detmers-Marco G.-M. Perez type guys.

• Upvote 2

Nevin being the 13th man doesn’t really bother me. The 13th man is redundant and will need to start like twice a month. I just wanted it to be someone I couldn’t care less about getting AB’s. He fits that description as classic 40-man bubble waiver wire fodder that can be cut loose whenever a move needs to be made. 

Weekly (7 games) playing time ratios:

7: Santander/Henderson/Westburg

6: Mullins/Hays/Adley/Cowser

5: Urias/Mounty

4: O’Hearn

2: Mateo/McCann

0: Nevin 

Adding Norby to the Opening Day roster as the primary DH against lefties would have been a far superior move to having Nevin make the team.

Norby faring well in that role would increase his trade value more than playing well at AAA for the third time would. More importantly, Norby at platoon DH would have made the Orioles a better team to start the season after Elias sent down Holliday and Mayo in order to gain additional control for them. 

• Upvote 1