O’s acquire …Tyler Nevin

StillanOfan

O's beginning the season vs several left-handed starters.   Nevin is the right-handed hitter to platoon with O'Hearn at DH.

I think the O's want to turn Norby into a left fielder.   He needs to play everyday to do that.  That is available at  AAA.

27 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Anyone else sense some frustration?

For sure and rightly so. He is really blocked.  If still around, hopefully next year is the year they let all the youth come up and get rid of more of the veterans. 

• Upvote 1

I agree with the folks who say it's easy to dump Nevin when he shows he's still Nevin.

Would have been cool to see Norby get a shot with all of the LHP coming the first few games. He had the most AB against lefties in Norfolk last year and dropped an .866 OPS, 15 2B and 5 HR in 151 ABs.

On 2/6/2024 at 10:15 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

In thinking about this I think McKenna beats out Hilliard. Hilliard is redundant. He was insurance if we traded Cowser or Kjerstad. Now if there is an injury to Hays, Mullins, or Santa, we’d call up Cowser. If there was an injury to Mounty or O’Hean, then we’d call up Kjerstad. 

Hilliard is redundant. McKenna wins out because he’s a RHH and can play CF. It’s clear cut. 

Nevin starts somewhere versus LH SP. When he does start it makes sense to start him in the field to at least give a regular the DH spot. Whether that’s RF with Santa DH’ing, or 1B with Monty DH’ing. Nevin could also start at 3B over Urias since Urias doesn’t have good numbers versus LHP. 

It’s just my two cents… but I think Nevin and McKenna both make the OD roster. They’re RH role players along with the other bench spots. McCann and Mateo. 

Other than Gunnar… we can trot out all RHH vs LH SP. 

Matchups baby. 

🤔

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You think he's going to help the farm ranking after spinning his wheels in AAA for another season?

When he lights it up again he will be part of the AAA depth that will be raved about. But will never be called up because they would rather give ABs to Nevin or Urias. 

Wonder what you could get for Norby + Stowers. Surely some bullpen arm thats better than the next wavier claim they make

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Then trade him to someone who will give him a shot.

The Orioles aren’t an employment agency for the rest of ML baseball.   I think they should trade Stowers although I doubt anyone is going to guarantee him a ML starting job and maybe not even a bench role.  Norby is 23 and this will be his 2nd full season in AAA and 3rd full year in the organization.   If they want to keep him they should.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

The Orioles aren’t an employment agency for the rest of ML baseball.   I think they should trade Stowers although I doubt anyone is going to guarantee him a ML starting job and maybe not even a bench role.  Norby is 23 and this will be his 2nd full season in AAA and 3rd full year in the organization.   If they want to keep him they should.

Who said anything about being an employment agency for the rest of MLB?

Norby and Stowers are two guys who are blocked and should be traded for a need.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Who said anything about being an employment agency for the rest of MLB?

Norby and Stowers are two guys who are blocked and should be traded for a need.  

How do you know Norby is blocked?  Maybe he becomes a decent LF this year and becomes a viable replacement for Hays.   Maybe he has a role as a 2B/DH/LF.   Do you know a team who’s ready to make him a starting 2B or carry him as a 2B only bench player?

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I didn't say release him, I said trade him.

If you don't think he's good enough to help the ML club trade him for assets that are, or might be in the future.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

How do you know Norby is blocked?  Maybe he becomes a decent LF this year and becomes a viable replacement for Hays.   Maybe he has a role as a 2B/DH/LF.   Do you know a team who’s ready to make him a starting 2B or carry him as a 2B only bench player?

Mancini learned to play outfield in the majors after being a 1B in the minors and college.

I hardly think it would take Norby a full season to "decent".