O’s acquire …Tyler Nevin

StillanOfan

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

How do you know Norby is blocked?  Maybe he becomes a decent LF this year and becomes a viable replacement for Hays.   Maybe he has a role as a 2B/DH/LF.   Do you know a team who’s ready to make him a starting 2B or carry him as a 2B only bench player?

Exactly. If we developed Norby this far, then why can’t we continue to develop him as a LF?

Norby has a role here. Whether that’s being a deep depth bat, or a Hays platoon replacement next year. Or a trade chip at the deadline. 

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

How do you know Norby is blocked?  Maybe he becomes a decent LF this year and becomes a viable replacement for Hays.   Maybe he has a role as a 2B/DH/LF.   Do you know a team who’s ready to make him a starting 2B or carry him as a 2B only bench player?

Ok. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't say release him, I said trade him.

If you don't think he's good enough to help the ML club trade him for assets that are, or might be in the future.

1. Mabe they believe he can help the team later this year or next

2. Maybe they don’t feel they can get as much value back as the value they place having Norby remain in the organization.

OR 3:

The Orioles never plan on giving Norby a chance no matter what, don’t care what they could get back in a trade, and just enjoy holding him back.

People just assume other teams are going to plug a Stowers or Norby into their starting lineup.  Not necessarily so.

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Exactly. If we developed Norby this far, then why can’t we continue to develop him as a LF?

Norby has a role here. Whether that’s being a deep depth bat, or a Hays platoon replacement next year. Or a trade chip at the deadline. 

Why didn't they do it last year?

The O's had Ortiz, Holliday and Westburg in front of him.

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Apparently, it’s the Orioles job to draft, develop, and find ML jobs for players who can’t crack their 26 man roster within 2 years of being promoted to AAA.  Not to mention, it’s the Orioles who aggressively promoted 3 levels (he wasn’t even that good at Aberdeen) in one year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why didn't they do it last year?

The O's had Ortiz, Holliday and Westburg in front of him.

It’s called trying to develop him as a 2B.  Sometimes players take it up another level.  Kind of like Mayo at 3B.  Norby did start playing more LF last year.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My guess is that either of them would be happy enough with a bench role on a ML team.

I’m sure.  So we should call around the league to see who needs a 2B only player or a corner OF for the bench, make us guarantee us they’ll keep them on the 26 man roster all year, and take whatever we can get in return?

• Upvote 1

If we can develop these players to this point, then why not trust our development staff to further develop them to suit our MLB team needs?

Norby to LF

Mayo to stick at 3B

Cowser in CF

Stowers to bounce back

Kjerstad to have another full season recovered from literally having the muscle surrounding is heart infected. 

We flipped the other “injustices” for the odds on favorite for the AL CYA. 

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’m sure.  So we should call around the league to see who needs a 2B only player or a corner OF for the bench, make us guarantee us they’ll keep them on the 26 man roster all year, and take whatever we can get in return?

Ahh, here is the silliness.

Was wondering when it would show up.

Yea, yea, by saying trade him to someone that would give him a shot I am totally saying we should make sure they guarantee his spot all year and accept whatever in return.

🙄

• Haha 1

It was 50 years ago that Henry Aaron provided one of baseball's iconic moments, surpassing the Babe's 714 home runs.

A half century later, Connor Norby and Kyle Stowers also get to chase that mystical 714 number, the Norfolk plate appearances taken by Jordan Westburg.

Stowers opens at 690, Norby at 675. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=2&stats=bat&qual=y&type=0&team=26&season=2022&seasonEnd=2023&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=6,1

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ahh, here is the silliness.

Was wondering when it would show up.

Yea, yea, by saying trade him to someone that would give him a shot I am totally saying we should make sure they guarantee his spot all year and accept whatever in return.

🙄

Yes, you continually complain about me insulting you but you can claim silliness, say my posts are down to my usual standards and so forth.   You say Norby is blocked.  How do you know that there is a team ready to put him on their 26 man roster?   

If the Orioles feel Norby has absolutely no future here why do you think they are holding onto him if they could upgrade their roster by doing so?

Norby isn’t shy about the logjam in Baltimore. Reading his post reminded me of an interview he did last May:

IMG_2015.thumb.jpeg.fab8c6fe0eca626952ca81a8612a49f0.jpeg

I don’t feel like players usually spell it out so publicly. I’d much prefer to see him over Nevin, but I also think he needs to take his lumps in the minors like everyone else has had to. It’s not like it hasn’t happened to every prospect who’s been promoted. We as fans have all been clamoring for every promotion months before they’ve actually happened. I think the Os see value in forcing these guys to earn it and not just have the job given to them the moment they hit a hot streak in AAA.