O’s acquire …Tyler Nevin

StillanOfan

11 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Adding Norby to the Opening Day roster as the primary DH against lefties would have been a far superior move to having Nevin make the team.

Norby faring well in that role would increase his trade value more than playing well at AAA for the third time would. More importantly, Norby at platoon DH would have made the Orioles a better team to start the season after Elias sent down Holliday and Mayo in order to gain additional control for them. 

How do you know Norby won’t have the same struggles at the major league level that Nevin has had?

I don’t get too fussed about who’s on the OD roster.  History shows us that the team will end up using 50-60 players and that several players on the OD roster really won’t end up with much playing time at all.   I can’t say I’m very excited about Nevin based on his past stint with the O’s, but obviously there’s something that Elias and Hyde see in him, and he did have a solid spring, so we’ll see how it goes.  

44 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Adding Norby to the Opening Day roster as the primary DH against lefties would have been a far superior move to having Nevin make the team.

Norby faring well in that role would increase his trade value more than playing well at AAA for the third time would. More importantly, Norby at platoon DH would have made the Orioles a better team to start the season after Elias sent down Holliday and Mayo in order to gain additional control for them. 

Why would you add someone to the 40 man roster who you can’t let go of? This is a limited at best role. At some point Holliday will be up. 

How many at bats is Nevin going to get?

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t get too fussed about who’s on the OD roster.  History shows us that the team will end up using 50-60 players and that several players on the OD roster really won’t end up with much playing time at all.   I can’t say I’m very excited about Nevin based on his past stint with the O’s, but obviously there’s something that Elias and Hyde see in him, and he did have a solid spring, so we’ll see how it goes.  

Honestly my only beef with Nevin as a part time bench guy is he just doesn't hit for enough power. Especially for his size and position. I mean he's never hit more than 16 in a minor league season. 

Edited by interloper

1 hour ago, Brooks The Great said:

Perhaps, but Norby has little positional flexibility and had an option, something Nevin doesn't. I doubt Nevin makes it to May on the roster and it will be easier to squeeze him through waivers a few weeks into the season. 

Elias is all about keeping as much depth as possible and getting as much controllability as the CBA allows with super prospects. None of this is really surprising if you ask me. 

Right now Nevin looks like the DH against lefties and can fill in at 3B,1B and corner outfield if needed. Clearly Mayo is a better player overall right now, but where does Mayo play against righties? if 3B was your answer, I agree, and if I'm a better man, somewhere between 2-3 weeks over his control time is met, he will be up here in that role and Nevin will be DFA'd. 

Think of Nevin as gaining a 7th season of control out of Mayo. 

33 minutes ago, interloper said:

Honestly my only beef with Nevin as a part time bench guy is he just doesn't hit for enough power. Especially for his size and position. I mean he's never hit more than 16 in a minor league season. 

And that is why he's a 26th/27th man on a roster/AAA depth. His lack of game power and defensive ability is why he's not a legitimate major league starter. But, he's fine as a placeholder until the Orioles get the 7th season of control over Mayo. If Nevin is still here on May 1st and Mayo is killing it in Norfolk, I'll have an issue. Until then this is Elias using his roster flexibility for he good of the franchise now and in the future.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

And that is why he's a 26th/27th man on a roster/AAA depth. His lack of game power and defensive ability is why he's not a legitimate major league starter. But, he's fine as a placeholder until the Orioles get the 7th season of control over Mayo. If Nevin I still here on May 1st and Mayo is killing it in Norfolk, I'll have an issue. Until then tis is Elias using his roster flexibility for he good of the franchise now and in the future.

Agreed, although if everyone is healthy I doubt Mayo is going to come up and sit on the bench in a Nevin-type role. Hopefully we can find some way to get him in the lineup most days. 

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Perhaps, but Norby has little positional flexibility and had an option, something Nevin doesn't. I doubt Nevin makes it to May on the roster and it will be easier to squeeze him through waivers a few weeks into the season. 

Elias is all about keeping as much depth as possible and getting as much controllability as the CBA allows with super prospects. None of this is really surprising if you ask me. 

Right now Nevin looks like the DH against lefties and can fill in at 3B,1B and corner outfield if needed. Clearly Mayo is a better player overall right now, but where does Mayo play against righties? if 3B was your answer, I agree, and if I'm a better man, somewhere between 2-3 weeks over his control time is met, he will be up here in that role and Nevin will be DFA'd. 

Think of Nevin as gaining a 7th season of control out of Mayo. 

This leaves you with Mayo, Urias, Westburg and Mateo to play alongside Gunnar. That is until Holliday gets the call. 
Something has to give.

Kind of eager to see if McKenna gets claimed. While I don't necessarily want him on the 26-man roster, I'd be pleased if he cleared waivers and went to Norfolk. He's a decent 5th outfielder. Sort of wonder what kind of numbers he'd put up if a really bad team just decided to give him the starting CF job. 

Edited by interloper

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Kind of eager to see if McKenna gets claimed. While I don't necessarily want him on the 26-man roster, I'd be pleased if he cleared waivers and went to Norfolk. He's a decent 5th outfielder. Sort of wonder what kind of numbers he'd put up if a really bad team just decided to give him the starting CF job. 

I’d rather see Jud Fabian in Norfolk.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Agreed, although if everyone is healthy I doubt Mayo is going to come up and sit on the bench in a Nevin-type role. Hopefully we can find some way to get him in the lineup most days. 

He won't be in a Nevin-like role. If he comes up, he'd probably be the DH against lefties and most likely the 3B against righties.

• Upvote 2

Pretty shocked that Nevin made the team. 

Not a huge McKenna fan, but I see more value there as a RH hitter who can play center and spell Mullins once a week. 

Is he going to be used as the LHH half of a platoon with O'Hearn? I would prefer to see Santander at DH and Cowser in the OF on those days, but they may not want Cowser facing lefties. 

Edited by ChuckS