O’s acquire …Tyler Nevin

StillanOfan

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Yes, you continually complain about me insulting you but you can claim silliness, say my posts are down to my usual standards and so forth.   You say Norby is blocked.  How do you know that there is a team ready to put him on their 26 man roster?   

If the Orioles feel Norby has absolutely no future here why do you think they are holding onto him if they could upgrade their roster by doing so?

If you think that saying something is silly is the equivalent of questioning someone's manhood you might want to self reflect a bit.

3 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Was something mentioned by the team about Norby going to AAA to work on his LF defense? Didn’t seem like he got many innings in LF in spring training. 

Nothing at all but if Holliday is going to be getting significant 2B reps one would wonder where Norby will play those days and if there’s any significance to be attached to it.

1 minute ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Norby isn’t shy about the logjam in Baltimore. Reading his post reminded me of an interview he did last May:

IMG_2015.thumb.jpeg.fab8c6fe0eca626952ca81a8612a49f0.jpeg

I don’t feel like players usually spell it out so publicly. I’d much prefer to see him over Nevin, but I also think he needs to take his lumps in the minors like everyone else has had to. It’s not like it hasn’t happened to every prospect who’s been promoted. We as fans have all been clamoring for every promotion months before they’ve actually happened. I think the Os see value in forcing these guys to earn it and not just have the job given to them the moment they hit a hot streak in AAA. 

How exactly has Nevin earned anything?  His mediocre at best glove, lack of speed and career ML OPS+ of 74?

I say good on him for advocating for himself.  He's not ripping the organization.

Not that it means much but Norby even has a higher MiL OPS than Nevin.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you think that saying something is silly is the equivalent of questioning someone's manhood you might want to self reflect a bit.

I don’t question your manhood.  I know.   Now put me on ignore like you promised.   The board was so much more enjoyable when I thought I was.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t question your manhood.  I know.   Now put me on ignore like you promised.   The board was so much more enjoyable when I thought I was.

Unsurprisingly you misinterpreted what I said before.

Unfortunately you are quoted so often that putting you on /ignore wouldn't accomplish anything.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Unsurprisingly you misinterpreted what I said before.

Unfortunately you are quoted so often that putting you on /ignore wouldn't accomplish anything.

😪  🥴🤧🤮

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Nothing at all but if Holliday is going to be getting significant 2B reps one would wonder where Norby will play those days and if there’s any significance to be attached to it.

I gotcha. I guess it will be interesting to see what they do with Norby 

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

I gotcha. I guess it will be interesting to see what they do with Norby 

I guess they’ll put him somewhere where he’ll suck so they can screw around with his career some more.  It’s how Elias gets his kicks. 😮

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How exactly has Nevin earned anything?  His mediocre at best glove, lack of speed and career ML OPS+ of 74?

I say good on him for advocating for himself.  He's not ripping the organization.

Not that it means much but Norby even has a higher MiL OPS than Nevin.

I was referring to their high draft picks that they’re developing. Norby is still pretty young, has less AAA appearances than Westburg per @Just Regular, isn’t on the 40 man. Nevin has been in pro ball since 2015 and has had ML playing time in the last three seasons. Talent wise there doesn’t appear to be a comparison to me, but they obviously see it differently than us.

As a fan I don’t necessarily like it, I just think they’re making the young guys grind through some frustrations. Adley had to wait, Gunnar, Westburg too. 

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I guess they’ll put him somewhere where he’ll suck so they can screw around with his career some more.  It’s how Elias gets his kicks. 😮

Hey, maybe they unlocked something with Nevin and think he can be better, they have done it before.

I would rather see Norby get the at bats though personally. 

4 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Hey, maybe they unlocked something with Nevin and think he can be better, they have done it before.

I would rather see Norby get the at bats though personally. 

I would be ok with that BUT Norby struck out 11 times in 32 PA this spring and seemed vulnerable to breaking stuff away.  He had great counting numbers last year but I believe his OPS + was just above league average.  Maybe they think Nevin and Norby are pretty interchangeable right now but would rather have Norby improving with everyday reps and maybe even becoming more versatile defensively.  Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

Anytime you have the chance to put a backup 1B/3B with a career .610 OPS on your opening day roster...you have to do it.

I assume this is because either (1) they want him to face the left handed pitching we expect to see early, (2) they want someone they don't care about DFAing to hold the fort for a couple of weeks or (3) they expect to pick up someone on waivers.  

With Nevin, Mountcastle and O'Hearn on the roster you have three guys that you never really want playing anywhere other than 1B or DH, I don't see that lasting very long. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I was referring to their high draft picks that they’re developing. Norby is still pretty young, has less AAA appearances than Westburg per @Just Regular, isn’t on the 40 man. Nevin has been in pro ball since 2015 and has had ML playing time in the last three seasons. Talent wise there doesn’t appear to be a comparison to me, but they obviously see it differently than us.

As a fan I don’t necessarily like it, I just think they’re making the young guys grind through some frustrations. Adley had to wait, Gunnar, Westburg too. 

My thought now is Nevin is holding down a spot until Holliday or Mayo is ready to be called up because Nevin is easily expendable unless he has some type of breakout year. I don't agree with it given the number of options available in the farm system, but so far playing in AAA for a certain amount of time has been a requirement for prospects under Elias.

Correct that even though the surface stats are shiny Norby was only about 70th percentile in wRC+ among 2023 International League Bats.

He hasn't excelled at AAA like Westburg did.    Westburg and Norby are close matches on Elias draft outlay pedigree, so one might forecast Sigbot to break him in a year later if his 2nd go at Norfolk is Westburg strong.     The year 3 note as he vents understandably does credit himself with a "year" for a 2022 sip of AAA coffee.

The 40-man thing is working against him now, and only two members (Andrew Abbott and Zack Gelof) have made their MLB debuts from Norby's 2021 2nd round of the draft.     Hopefully in his 2nd real go he can have more like the Grissom/Westburg ~130-135 wRC+, and in the 2nd half he'll have given himself a good shot to collect about 129 plate appearances after the trade deadline.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1