O’s acquire …Tyler Nevin

StillanOfan

1 hour ago, Pat Kelly said:

The real question is why did they even spend the time, the phone calls, checking the payroll, talked to each other about this.     I guess they love Nevin as an interim platoon with O’Hearn (until Mayo is ready) and are moving Mountcastle.   Part of a Corbin Burnes trade with the Brewers. 

I hope that Tyler Nevin isn’t the reason for the beginning of the end of Mountcastle in Baltimore. 

4 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Is Nevin even 4th on the depth chart at 1B or 3B?

I have no idea what Elias and Hyde are thinking. But if it was up to me I would say the top 3 at 1B are Mountcastle, O'Hearn, and Santander. Then we can debate who's 4th until Mayo or Kjerstad or Urias has adapted/converted to 1B.  (Urias did not look comfortable there at all in 2023.)

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I have no idea what Elias and Hyde are thinking. But if it was up to me I would say the top 3 at 1B are Mountcastle, O'Hearn, and Santander. Then we can debate who's 4th until Mayo or Kjerstad or Urias has adapted/converted to 1B.  (Urias did not look comfortable there at all in 2023.)

I also forgot that both James McCann and Adley Rutschman are capable of playing 1B if called upon.

9 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

I bet we see him before Ortiz or Cowser lol

Really? What makes you think this? I expect both of these guys will make the team this year out of spring training unless they are dealt. If these guys start the season in AAA it’s poor roster management. 

7 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

Maybe they plan to start Holiday to be on the OD lineup and Nevin will be his AAA replacement.

Nevin is a mediocre 3B/1B, I can’t see anyway how that’s related to Holiday. 

This move makes no sense to me. The guy has no options so the money is lost if he fails to make the team and is claimed. For a penny pinching team even $50,000 lost is silly. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

Maybe they plan to start Holiday to be on the OD lineup and Nevin will be his AAA replacement.

I think they'll pair Nevin with Mayo and depth after Mayo.  Nevin can play 1B when Mayo's at 3B.  And 3B when Mayo's at 1B.

• Upvote 1

I don't think there is much to see here at all. He is a depth piece (player 40) at best. He just seems like a guy that the coaches and other players love. His role is probably to make Cowser's start of the year at Norfolk not suck as much. He's here for the vibes, not the bat and glove. 

29 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I think they'll pair Nevin with Mayo and depth after Mayo.  Nevin can play 1B when Mayo's at 3B.  And 3B when Mayo's at 1B.

I guess they could like him some as effectively a 3B-1B player/coach if they are building infrastructure around Coby Mayo to gain a lot of 1B competency during 2024.   That is something where Nevin I guess has an edge on Mountcastle/O'Hearn.

But its stretching for tea leaves.     We can chisel Tyler Nevin on to Elias Mount Rushmore with RIo Ruiz.

Adam Frazier is still looking for a job, so Elias hasn't really maximized his board trolling potential yet.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Really? What makes you think this? I expect both of these guys will make the team this year out of spring training unless they are dealt. If these guys start the season in AAA it’s poor roster management. 

No way Ortiz, Heston, Urias, Mateo, and Cowser all make the team. Especially since we "need" a backup CF and it will be Hillard. They won't move on from scrubby vets so Mateo and Urias aren't going anywhere. Heston showed signs of life in the Majors while Cowser didn't so that makes him ideal for getting the boot back to AAA. I am sure Nevin is the first in line to come up if Mountcastle has health issues again. 

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

It only makes sense if they have trades set or plan to clear Mounty and/or O’Hearn before the season. I mean how many 1/B/3B types do we need. There is no way he beats out Urias, Mountcastle, and even O’Hearn. So for 3B/1B we have Nevin, Urias, Mayo, Mountcastle, O’Hearn , and possibly Kjerstad at 1B.

1 minute ago, Orioles0615 said:

No way Ortiz, Heston, Urias, Mateo, and Cowser all make the team. Especially since we "need" a backup CF and it will be Hillard. They won't move on from scrubby vets so Mateo and Urias aren't going anywhere. Heston showed signs of life in the Majors while Cowser didn't so that makes him ideal for getting the boot back to AAA. I am sure Nevin is the first in line to come up if Mountcastle has health issues again. 

Come up ? He has no options.