O’s acquire …Tyler Nevin

StillanOfan

40 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think this has anything to do with an up coming trade.  This is Elias building his AAA team so the O's prospects are playing on a good team at AAA. JMO

How does adding Tyler Nevin improve a AAA team that was already the best in 2023?

48 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Guys, how has no one else suggested that this might be a pre-emptive move for a soon to be made bigger trade? Perhaps one involving Urias...

Because Nevin isn't an adequate replacement for anyone we might deal.  

16 hours ago, emmett16 said:

ME is def trolling the OH.  

100%.. 

I'm telling you all now, he has to have some kind of pictures of Elias that he doesn't want to get out. :D

Seriously, I think Tyler Nevin has broken Sigbot's computer. Like there is something in his statcast data that keeps telling it he will be a good player despite any actual performance statistical data to back it up.

I mean, there is literally no logical reason why he should be on a major league 40-man roster. As AAA 1B-3B fodder, sure, why not, but why would you put him on the 40-man roster?

I know this move means nothing other than to confuse any knowledgeable fan/scout/analyst or really anyone with a vague knowledge of what makes a player reasonably valuable.

I do have a theory. Last year, Sigbot's computer told Elias to go sign Adam Frazier despite having both Westburg and Ortiz ready to take over at 2B. That dumb, unnecessary move was not good in just about any way, but the Orioles ended up winning 101 games despite the move. 

Nevin is this year's Frazier move. Acquiring and adding a player like Nevin to the 40-man roster on a team with actual good players at the positions he supposedly plays is so insane that it has to be the Frazier move of the 2023-24 offseason. 

My last theory is that Elias has figured out that you have to be able to give an offering to the baseball Gods by putting one guy on his 40-man roster than it is so terrible that the offering allows the Gods to give a blessing. A player with no redeemable baseball skill who is not good at offense or defense who allows the Gods to take pity upon the organization and give it good luck for the following season.

Those are my three guesses. Pictures, Frazier move, Baseball Gods offering!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

100%.. 

I'm telling you all now, he has to have some kind of pictures of Elias that he doesn't want to get out. :D

Seriously, I think Tyler Nevin has broken Sigbot's computer. Like there is something in his statcast data that keeps telling it he will be a good player despite any actual performance statistical data to back it up.

I mean, there is literally no logical reason why he should be on a major league 40-man roster. As AAA 1B-3B fodder, sure, why not, but why would you put him on the 40-man roster?

I know this move means nothing other than to confuse any knowledgeable fan/scout/analyst or really anyone with a vague knowledge of what makes a player reasonably valuable.

I do have a theory. Last year, Sigbot's computer told Elias to go sign Adam Frazier despite having both Westburg and Ortiz ready to take over at 2B. That's dumb, unnecessary move was not good in just about any way, but the Orioles ended up winning 101 games despite the move.

My third theory is Nevin is this year's Frazier move. Acquiring and adding a player like Nevin to the 40-man roster on a team with actual good players at the positions he supposedly plays is so insane that it has to be the Frazier move of the 2023-24 offseason. 

My last theory is that Elias has figured out that you have to be able to give an offering to the baseball Gods by putting one guy on his 40-man roster than it is so terrible that the offering allows the Gods to give a blessing. A player with no redeemable baseball skill who is not good at offense or defense who allows the Gods to take pity upon the organization and give it good luck for the following season.

Those are my three guesses.

This cracks me up.

The real question is why did they even spend the time, the phone calls, checking the payroll, talked to each other about this.     I guess they love Nevin as an interim platoon with O’Hearn (until Mayo is ready) and are moving Mountcastle.   Part of a Corbin Burnes trade with the Brewers. 

11 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

The real question is why did they even spend the time, the phone calls, checking the payroll, talked to each other about this.     I guess they love Nevin as an interim platoon with O’Hearn (until Mayo is ready) and are moving Mountcastle.   Part of a Corbin Burnes trade with the Brewers. 

He will be DFA before opening day. Just a Norfolk move.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

If that is the case, why would they bother to trade for him? Is the idea that there will come a time later in the offseason where they have a higher chance of sneaking him through waivers than if they waited to claim him now? 

Something like that, I guess.  It’s the only thing that makes sense.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

100%.. 

I do have a theory. Last year, Sigbot's computer told Elias to go sign Adam Frazier despite having both Westburg and Ortiz ready to take over at 2B. That's dumb, unnecessary move was not good in just about any way, but the Orioles ended up winning 101 games despite the move.

My third theory is Nevin is this year's Frazier move. Acquiring and adding a player like Nevin to the 40-man roster on a team with actual good players at the positions he supposedly plays is so insane that it has to be the Frazier move of the 2023-24 offseason. 

Those are my three guesses.

Or, it's just a spring training body to soak up some ABs here and there and in case Mayo makes the team to have more depth for AAA.