O’s acquire …Tyler Nevin

StillanOfan

11 hours ago, SteveA said:

But we simply claimed Diaz on waivers.

We actually paid cash to acquire Nevin, who had been DFA'd.   We didn't even want to wait for him to clear waivers, we couldn't take the chance that someone else would claim him so we jumped the line by actually paying cash.

I am perplexed by the move.   What do we see in a 26 year old with negative career war that we pay cash to acquire him rather than wait and see if he gets to us on waivers?

JA decided to open up his wallet. Lol

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

That won’t stop Elias from trying to put him through waivers.

Then you’ve flushed the cash considerations down the commode. As I mentioned that makes no sense with Angelos reluctance to spend money. Even if it’s a nominal amount…. For AAA insurance?

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Then you’ve flushed the cash considerations down the commode. As I mentioned that makes no sense with Angelos reluctance to spend money. Even if it’s a nominal amount…. For AAA insurance?

Question all you want...  It is what it is.  I question the $2+m for Mateo more than this though.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It’s a waste of time to worry about this move.  It’s third-level depth.   The amount of money involved is probably $25 k or something.  Next topic. 

Not worried about it …it’s just more shopping in the trash bin.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

You need to pay attention.  He guaranteed Sam Hilliard 800K just so other teams would be less likely to claim him if he tried to get him through to Norfolk.   The cash considerations are probably 50K or less in this case.  They spend extra money on the fringes.   

• Upvote 2

I marvel at this phenomenon every year. Even Tony isn't immune to a long post about what is essentially just claiming a guy for ST. No one is going to waste a roster spot by claiming Tyler Nevin if he's DFA'd, which he will be. We just happened to have 2 open and this is our Curtis Terry for this season. 

If we had signed Nevin to a minor league deal, people would be like ok whatever. But it's the 40-man roster spot that trips people up when Elias does stuff like this. As if it guarantees Nevin will be on the 26-man roster or something.

Y'all: there is quite literally a 100% chance Tyler Nevin will be DFA'd prior to Opening Day. 

Edited by interloper

3 hours ago, interloper said:

I marvel at this phenomenon every year. Even Tony isn't immune to a long post about what is essentially just claiming a guy for ST. No one is going to waste a roster spot by claiming Tyler Nevin if he's DFA'd, which he will be. We just happened to have 2 open and this is our Curtis Terry for this season. 

If we had signed Nevin to a minor league deal, people would be like ok whatever. But it's the 40-man roster spot that trips people up when Elias does stuff like this. As if it guarantees Nevin will be on the 26-man roster or something.

Y'all: there is quite literally a 100% chance Tyler Nevin will be DFA'd prior to Opening Day. 

My post was in jest clearly, which is why it was so long. 

In all seriousness, if that's what we're going to do here, the Orioles have few 1B options in AAA and even fewer 3B options if Mayo makes the team or is tried in RF. Nevin makes sense as that guy. It's just a little amazing that he had to be acquired and put on the 40-man roster for it to happen. I'm 99% sure he will be DFA'd when room is needed is when they would have start paying like a 40-man guy vs a AAA guy.

Maybe because of the Orioles depth, it's harder for them to sign these AAAA-type 1B-3B so the only way to get one is to acquire them through cash considerations. 

Truthfully, they still need another one because TT Bowen is not really a good AA player. Now they could play Billy Cook at 1B in AAA, but other hand that, the pickings are slim and behind Mayo, the 3B AAA options are not plentiful either.

Now why the Orioles PR team decided to put out graphic with "Welcome back to Birdland Tyler Nevin" is still a bit perplexing. Is he getting a bobblehead next? :D

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Now why the Orioles PR team decided to put out graphic with "Welcome back to Birdland Tyler Nevin" is still a bit perplexing. Is he getting a bobblehead next? :D

They're as bored as we are. 

• Haha 3