O’s acquire …Tyler Nevin

StillanOfan

34 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Why would there be bad blood between Mancini and the Orioles?

They tried to defer his salary (along with Santanders) while he was recovering from cancer. And also traded him away during a playoff chase.

19 minutes ago, brooooksy said:

They tried to defer his salary (along with Santanders) while he was recovering from cancer. And also traded him away during a playoff chase.

Lol this is some nonsense right here. They traded him TO a playoff contender. We were not in a chase despite what some fans think. Did the guy a huge favor and he played in the playoffs that year. 

Edited by interloper

19 minutes ago, brooooksy said:

Just now, interloper said:

Lol. They traded him TO a playoff contender. We were not in a chase despite what some fans think. Did the guy a huge favor and he played in the playoffs that year. 

Didn't just play in the playoffs-- he won the World Series.

After getting a nice sendoff from the O's with that inside the park HR, and returning to Camden in September to get a nice ovation. He likely wouldn't have gotten as nice a farewell if he stayed on the team for Aug/Sep.  He played terribly after the trade but in terms of personal closure and career memories I'd say the trade worked out great for him. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, interloper said:

Lol this is some nonsense right here. They traded him TO a playoff contender. We were not in a chase despite what some fans think. Did the guy a huge favor and he played in the playoffs that year. 

Which part is nonsense? It’s all factual.

What you’re suggesting is subjective. you could just as easily suppose that he blames the change of scenery for his decline as you could that he’s grateful he got to go 1 for 21 in the playoffs

29 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Didn't just play in the playoffs-- he won the World Series.

After getting a nice sendoff from the O's with that inside the park HR, and returning to Camden in September to get a nice ovation. He likely wouldn't have gotten as nice a farewell if he stayed on the team for Aug/Sep.  He played terribly after the trade but in terms of personal closure and career memories I'd say the trade worked out great for him. 

Okay so outside of the orioles messing with his paycheck during his medical treatments, he got a change of scenery and began to hit so poorly he gets released a year later? How does getting traded away from an org you spent 10 years in during your first playoff hunt equal closure?

11 minutes ago, brooooksy said:

Okay so outside of the orioles messing with his paycheck during his medical treatments, he got a change of scenery and began to hit so poorly he gets released a year later? How does getting traded away from an org you spent 10 years in during your first playoff hunt equal closure?

He got a World Series Ring ….doubt he cares about any of the other stuff.  His medical stuff was covered by his MLB insurance. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He got a World Series Ring ….doubt he cares about any of the other stuff.  His medical stuff was covered by his MLB insurance. 

No one said it wasn’t.

On 1/22/2024 at 9:54 PM, Aristotelian said:

If that is the case, why would they bother to trade for him? Is the idea that there will come a time later in the offseason where they have a higher chance of sneaking him through waivers than if they waited to claim him now? 

Modern day offseason version of trading cash up for a rule 5 draft pick.

10 hours ago, brooooksy said:

Mancini just signed a minor league deal with the marlins. It’s becoming marginal but he’s still a better player than Nevin if the goal is AAA depth. They had pretty similar lines although Mancini gets punished in WAR for starting at DH 

10-1 Mancini has an opt-out if he doesn’t make the big league club.  I hope he does make it back.  

Go Trey!

Roster Resource's incumbent Marlins DH is Avisail Garcia.    Marlins fans are probably as excited halfway through about his big 4-year contract as we were about Alex Cobb's.     That 5th year option really could come in handy.

Trey is younger and beat him by 20 points of OPS+ last year.

16 hours ago, brooooksy said:

I've never read anything or seen any interaction from Mancini that suggests he holds "bad blood". He was traded to a contender from a team that had very little chance of going to the playoffs (until they started winning more after he was traded). I doubt getting traded to a World Series contender made him upset. 

Mancini is a smart guy who the Orioles organization supported whole heartily through his cancer situation. He's shown nothing outwardly but admiration for the support of the organization and the fans. 

But, back to baseball, he probably knows that he has little chance of seeing major league time with the Orioles and yes, it probably would be a little weird seeing him as AAA depth in an organization where he once starred. 

37 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I've never read anything or seen any interaction from Mancini that suggests he holds "bad blood". He was traded to a contender from a team that had very little chance of going to the playoffs (until they started winning more after he was traded). I doubt getting traded to a World Series contender made him upset. 

Mancini is a smart guy who the Orioles organization supported whole heartily through his cancer situation. He's shown nothing outwardly but admiration for the support of the organization and the fans. 

But, back to baseball, he probably knows that he has little chance of seeing major league time with the Orioles and yes, it probably would be a little weird seeing him as AAA depth in an organization where he once starred. 

I wouldn’t expect him to say anything publicly, but I would guess that handing him an unheard of arbitration offer would be annoying at best, make him angry at worst.

The people that love the efficiency and thriftiness of the FO underestimate the damage that can be caused by the team constantly lowballing you and trying to take advantage, such as Springer with the Astros. And FWIW, the team was 2.5 gb from a playoff spot when he was traded. Elias had to fly to Arlington to do damage control after the trade because the rest of the team was so furious.

12 minutes ago, brooooksy said:

I wouldn’t expect him to say anything publicly, but I would guess that handing him an unheard of arbitration offer would be annoying at best, make him angry at worst.

The people that love the efficiency and thriftiness of the FO underestimate the damage that can be caused by the team constantly lowballing you and trying to take advantage, such as Springer with the Astros. And FWIW, the team was 2.5 gb from a playoff spot when he was traded. Elias had to fly to Arlington to do damage control after the trade because the rest of the team was so furious.

The team was "furious?" First I've ever heard that. But you seem pretty set in your reality of the situation so we'll just have to disagree. Nothing I've read or heard backs anything you've suggested. 

The team was 2.5 back, but Elias was a seller. What does that tell you?

Where did the Orioles end up?

Not to mention Mancini was absolutely terrible (and has been since) after the trade and the Orioles now have Chayce McDermott and Seth Johnson in the organization. 

The Orioles treated Mancini over and beyond during his ordeal, and traded him to a World Series contender right before his value cratered. 

Mancini ended up with a World Series ring and the Orioles ended up with two prospects. I doubt anyone involved is too upset.

• Upvote 1