O’s acquire …Tyler Nevin

StillanOfan

4 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I agree with @sportsfan8703. This FO has history with this sort of thing. Odor getting ABs as long as he did, signing Hicks after he looked bad with the Yankees, Mateo is still here.

Nevin played 1B/3B/LF/RF/DH for the Tigers last year. I see being the 5th OFer even though it doesn't make any sense to us.

Hilliard and McKenna both provide tons more defensive value than Nevin in the OF.   No way Nevin is the 5th OF.  If you want to argue he’ll play 1B and 3B too, I already posted why 1B makes no sense.

2 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I agree with @sportsfan8703. This FO has history with this sort of thing. Odor getting ABs as long as he did, signing Hicks after he looked bad with the Yankees, Mateo is still here.

Nevin played 1B/3B/LF/RF/DH for the Tigers last year. I see being the 5th OFer even though it doesn't make any sense to us.

It’s just handicapping what would be the OD 26 man roster with what we currently have in the org and all of the factors factored in.

Of course I hope it’s Holliday but “factors”. 

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Hilliard and McKenna both provide tons more defensive value than Nevin in the OF.   No way Nevin is the 5th OF.  If you want to argue he’ll play 1B and 3B too, I already posted why 1B makes no sense.

I hear ya man.

Why even acquire Nevin? He's really not needed in any capacity. The only thing I can come up with is they like these below average veterans to be that 26th man on the roster.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Exactly. Nevin is just a RH bat for LHP.

Here’s a situation where Nevin would get into a game. Mounty at DH, and O’Hearn at 1B to start the game. They bring in a LRP. Nevin pinch hits and plays 1B. Or vice versa and Nevin goes to DH when O’Hearn starts at DH. 

But Nevin will be our 1B/DH vs LHP. 

Don’t shoot the messenger. It’s just how the current players fit on a 26 man roster. 

I know everyone is disgusted at this but then ask… if not Nevin then who and why?

3 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I don't think the Odor or Hicks situations are appropriate comparisons. Odor was a starter through the 2022 season when their moves showed they were clearly not intending to go all in for a playoff spot (Mancini/Lopez trades). I don't think Hicks would have necessarily been brought in if Cowser hadn't just gotten hurt, but then Hicks performed pretty well and it all pretty much worked out for the best from there.

That's not to say this team/Hyde don't have some veteran preferences that are frustrating and/or questionable. Whether that's genuinely because they feel the vets are more reliable or they're playing service time games, it's hard to say. But in 2024, with Burnes on the roster and the talent of the emerging rookies, I personally don't think they play games with someone like Nevin if the rookies are ready.

The O's are going to make AAAA depth moves each offseason like Nevin, Heasley and Hilliard. I don't think we have to make significant assumptions about them.

51 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sorry if this depresses anyone, but I think Nevin makes the OD roster.  It’s better for him to have the 4th spot with no path to PT rather than a prospect.  Also, no Holliday.

C - Adley

1B - Mounty

DH - O’Hearn

2B - Westburg

SS - Gunnar

3B - Urias

LF - Haysteo 😂

RF- Santa

CF - Mullins

Bench 

McCann

Mateo

One of McKenna/Hillard

Nevin

Oh geez…. Not happening.  He’s AAAA depth.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Here’s a situation where Nevin would get into a game. Mounty at DH, and O’Hearn at 1B to start the game. They bring in a LRP. Nevin pinch hits and plays 1B. Or vice versa and Nevin goes to DH when O’Hearn starts at DH. 

Don’t shoot the messenger. It’s just how the current players fit on a 26 man roster. 

I know everyone is disgusted at this but then ask… if not Nevin then who and why?

If you're leaving Holliday and Mayo off of the OD roster, you likely have the following:

RHB: Mountcastle, Hays, Westburg, Urias, Mateo, McKenna, McCann

LHB: Henderson, Mullins, O'Hearn, Kjerstad/Cowser (probably Kjerstad)

Switch: Rutschman, Santander

Mountcastle is your 1B/DH against LHP. Plenty of RHB to swap in as pinch hitters, with enough guys capable of playing 1B who aren't Nevin.

7 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I hear ya man.

Why even acquire Nevin? He's really not needed in any capacity. The only thing I can come up with is they like these below average veterans to be that 26th man on the roster.

He’s insurance against an injury to Mountcastle where he might platoon with O’Hearn but I’m not even sure he’d get the call there as they might turn to Mayo.  I think the main reason they picked him up was to play 1B at Norfolk and provide deep depth in the scenario I mentioned.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Oh geez…. Not happening.  He’s AAAA depth.

Perfect role for AAAA depth. RH bench bat versus LHP. Starts versus LHP. Pinch hitter possibilities.

Think of it this way… he’s just in a 3 way platoon with Mounty and O’Hearn.

Nevin has a career .798 OPS in his career versus LHP. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Perfect role for AAAA depth. RH bench bat versus LHP. Starts versus LHP. Pinch hitter possibilities.

Think of it this way… he’s just in a 3 way platoon with Mounty and O’Hearn.

Nevin has a career .798 OPS in his career versus LHP. 

I just don’t see the value add with only 13 roster spots.  He’s the Mounty insurance policy.

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

In a SSS O’Hearn out homered Nevin 2 to 1 and had virtually the same OPS against LHP.   Nevin isn’t pitiful against LHP but it’s not like he’s some lefty killer either.   I’d just PH Mateo for him and move Urias to 1B in your scenario if I really thought O’Hearn had no chance against a particular LHP.

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hays or Mountcastle should be available off the bench if O'Hearn is starting. McCann might be an option as well. Not a great option, but neither is Nevin. 

Lineup: Mullins (CF) Kjerstad (RF) Hays (LF) Adley (C) Gunnar (SS) Westburg (2B) Urias (3B) O'Hearn (1B) Santander (DH)

Bench: Mountcastle McCann Mateo Hilliard, ???

Even if we're not going with Holliday to start the year, I would fill that last spot with Vavra, Norby, or Cowser ahead of Nevin. 

In thinking about this I think McKenna beats out Hilliard. Hilliard is redundant. He was insurance if we traded Cowser or Kjerstad. Now if there is an injury to Hays, Mullins, or Santa, we’d call up Cowser. If there was an injury to Mounty or O’Hean, then we’d call up Kjerstad. 

Hilliard is redundant. McKenna wins out because he’s a RHH and can play CF. It’s clear cut. 

Nevin starts somewhere versus LH SP. When he does start it makes sense to start him in the field to at least give a regular the DH spot. Whether that’s RF with Santa DH’ing, or 1B with Monty DH’ing. Nevin could also start at 3B over Urias since Urias doesn’t have good numbers versus LHP. 

It’s just my two cents… but I think Nevin and McKenna both make the OD roster. They’re RH role players along with the other bench spots. McCann and Mateo. 

Other than Gunnar… we can trot out all RHH vs LH SP. 

Matchups baby. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

In thinking about this I think McKenna beats out Hilliard. Hilliard is redundant. He was insurance if we traded Cowser or Kjerstad. Now if there is an injury to Hays, Mullins, or Santa, we’d call up Cowser. If there was an injury to Mounty or O’Hean, then we’d call up Kjerstad. 

Hilliard is redundant. McKenna wins out because he’s a RHH and can play CF. It’s clear cut. 

Nevin starts somewhere versus LH SP. When he does start it makes sense to start him in the field to at least give a regular the DH spot. Whether that’s RF with Santa DH’ing, or 1B with Monty DH’ing. Nevin could also start at 3B over Urias since Urias doesn’t have good numbers versus LHP. 

It’s just my two cents… but I think Nevin and McKenna both make the OD roster. They’re RH role players along with the other bench spots. McCann and Mateo. 

Other than Gunnar… we can trot out all RHH vs LH SP. 

Matchups baby. 

What about having enough LHBs to provide advantage, especially in our park, against the far more common RHPs?