O’s acquire …Tyler Nevin

StillanOfan

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well liked by the coaches. Son of a coach. Probably a future coach himself. Who knows how long he sticks around. For now, he’s the vet that rides the bus with young prospects to road games. Y’all really mad about that?

The only other depth 1B we have his TT Bowens. Yes, we want a whole slew of guys taking reps there, but Nevin will be a mainstay during the drills and essentially what Ryan Flaherty was at the end of his career. 

I lost what little respect I had left for Phil Nevin after his role in instigating the Seattle brawl in 2022. There's a very fine line between being old school/hard nose and just a jerk. Hopefully his son doesn't follow in that aspect of his father if he chooses to segue into coaching. 

8 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Not worried about it …it’s just more shopping in the trash bin.

I knew the O's would find a lower level of player acquisition than dumpster diving.  I am always amazed by how much money the O's waste these little moves when combined.

On 1/22/2024 at 9:40 PM, Billy F-Face3 said:

Makes me wonder if they got him for an emergency backup, with the idea of trading Mountcastle. I hope not, because I don't even trust Nevin in a emergency role.

Could be similar to when the O's traded for Brett Phillips. I still swear that trade was made as emergency bc Elias had a trade set up involving Mullins that ended up falling through.  This may be similar. Perhaps Elias has a trade set up involving Mountcastle or O'Hearn. Nevin may actually be useful depth regardless.

Current MLB 1B Depth Chart: Mountcastle/Ohearn/Urias/Santander/Rutchman/Westburg/McCann

AAA/AA: Nevin/Mayo/Kjerstad/Basallo/Bowens

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I knew the O's would find a lower level of player acquisition than dumpster diving.  I am always amazed by how much money the O's waste these little moves when combined.

I want to see the total they have spent on these moves like this, its probably enough to sign an actual good player

15 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Could be similar to when the O's traded for Brett Phillips. I still swear that trade was made as emergency bc Elias had a trade set up involving Mullins that ended up falling through.  This may be similar. Perhaps Elias has a trade set up involving Mountcastle or O'Hearn. Nevin may actually be useful depth regardless.

Current MLB 1B Depth Chart: Mountcastle/Ohearn/Urias/Santander/Rutchman/Westburg/McCann

I don't see Nevin as anything more than a warm body.  Where does he slot?  Between Westburg and McCann.  Obviously if McCann has to cover 1B for a while, something has gone horribly wrong.  I would say the same thing about Nevin at 1B.  Looking forward to about 4 or 5 marginal AAAA type OF/1B being signed between now and Opening Day.

59 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Our actual 1B depth chart …

MLB - Mounty, O’Hearn

ST/AAA - Nevin

AA - TT Bowens

Of course lots of others guys can get reps there, but 1B is not their primary position. So let those guys get reps where they need to and let Nevin take the bus rides to the ST away games. 

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

His contract was purchased after the trade deadline in 2022, not as a preemptive move.

and truly, one of the worst moves ever. Elias was trying to juice up a team that voiced anger at him for selling while in the playoff hunt and added a career .187 hitter 

Edited by brooooksy

9 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I guess they figure if they hit on one of these guys occasionally it covers 5-10 other moves like this.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

I want to see the total they have spent on these moves like this, its probably enough to sign an actual good player

I doubt it. A lot of MLB cash transactions are 4-5 figures. It's quite possible we bought Tyler Nevin for $1,000.

Mancini just signed a minor league deal with the marlins. It’s becoming marginal but he’s still a better player than Nevin if the goal is AAA depth. They had pretty similar lines although Mancini gets punished in WAR for starting at DH 

42 minutes ago, brooooksy said:

Mancini just signed a minor league deal with the marlins. It’s becoming marginal but he’s still a better player than Nevin if the goal is AAA depth. They had pretty similar lines although Mancini gets punished in WAR for starting at DH 

Yeah, but there's a much easier path back to the bigs with Miami. I think it would be a little awkward to have Mancini come back and play the majority of a season in Norfolk. Anyway, happy for the guy, I hope he figures out what happened after that Houston trade. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah, but there's a much easier path back to the bigs with Miami. I think it would be a little awkward to have Mancini come back and play the majority of a season in Norfolk. Anyway, happy for the guy, I hope he figures out what happened after that Houston trade. 

Absolutely. Might be some bad blood here anyway, even it would be a good story for him to come back