O’s acquire …Tyler Nevin

StillanOfan

Just now, forphase1 said:

I don't get this move.   Unless we are paper thin in AAA at the 1st base level.  I simply can't think of anything other than this being completely inconsequential at best,  completely stupid at worst.

Yea, but I thought the same way about the O'Hearn move last season and that worked out better than anyone could have imagined.

• Upvote 2

It’s difficult to sign MILB free agent position players due to our prospect depth (I don’t think we’ve signed any non-catchers of note).  It’s also difficult for O’s to sign right-handed bats due to Walltimore, and we’re very lefty heavy as far as our depth.  

We have open 40-man roster space and Nevin is likely to make it through waivers.  

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

OK with me so long as he gets the Lewin Diaz treatment - though I preferred Diaz.  

But we simply claimed Diaz on waivers.

We actually paid cash to acquire Nevin, who had been DFA'd.   We didn't even want to wait for him to clear waivers, we couldn't take the chance that someone else would claim him so we jumped the line by actually paying cash.

I am perplexed by the move.   What do we see in a 26 year old with negative career war that we pay cash to acquire him rather than wait and see if he gets to us on waivers?

1 minute ago, Warehouse said:

It’s difficult to sign MILB free agent position players due to our prospect depth (I don’t think we’ve signed any non-catchers of note).  It’s also difficult for O’s to sign right-handed bats due to Walltimore, and we’re very lefty heavy as far as our depth.  

We have open 40-man roster space and Nevin is likely to make it through waivers.  

If he is truly likely to make it through waivers, why didn't we just wait until our turn and claim him on waivers, rather than short circuiting it by paying cash for him before the waiver process?

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

I am perplexed by the move.   What do we see in a 26 year old with negative career war that we pay cash to acquire him rather than wait and see if he gets to us on waivers?

All the move says for now is we like him better than the bag of balls he cost.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

If he is truly likely to make it through waivers, why didn't we just wait until our turn and claim him on waivers, rather than short circuiting it by paying cash for him before the waiver process?

Are you really worried about the 10K they paid for him?  Just my guess.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Guys, how has no one else suggested that this might be a pre-emptive move for a soon to be made bigger trade? Perhaps one involving Urias...

I don't think this has anything to do with an up coming trade.  This is Elias building his AAA team so the O's prospects are playing on a good team at AAA. JMO

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think this has anything to do with an up coming trade.  This is Elias building his AAA team so the O's prospects are playing on a good team at AAA. JMO

Why? I thought the plan was to give Mayo as many reps as possible at 3B?