O’s acquire …Tyler Nevin

StillanOfan

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The team was "furious?" First I've ever heard that. But you seem pretty set in your reality of the situation so we'll just have to disagree. Nothing I've read or heard backs anything you've suggested. 

The team was 2.5 back, but Elias was a seller. What does that tell you?

Where did the Orioles end up?

Not to mention Mancini was absolutely terrible (and has been since) after the trade and the Orioles now have Chayce McDermott and Seth Johnson in the organization. 

The Orioles treated Mancini over and beyond during his ordeal, and traded him to a World Series contender right before his value cratered. 

Mancini ended up with a World Series ring and the Orioles ended up with two prospects. I doubt anyone involved is too upset.

I’m not trying to debate the merits of the trade, nor do I understand why “I seem so set in my reality of the situation” - again, these are all supported by facts, versus the subjective “he got a ring with his new team so therefore there is no bad blood with his old team”. Obviously the team didn’t finish as well as hoped and Mancini was bad after. No one is debating that. Only the perception of the trade at the time and from the players. 

The team was “pretty upset”, per Mountcastle and Elias flew to Texas and met 1 on 1 with him, Mullins, and Hays to outline what he was doing. If you didn’t hear that you weren’t paying attention:

This is in addition to the arbitration offer so unusual an agent said “i have never heard of that. I’ve never even thought about that. Something like that has never been brought to me by a club in any way, shape or form”

40 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias points out that Nevin hits lefties.   His major league career OPS vs lefties is 798.

Perhaps some coverage in case Mounty's vertigo returns and they don't want to immediately go to Mayo yet. 

I still think it's a near lock that he's DFA'd, which is fine, and I hope he clears and stays in the org. I think that was their wish initially when they DFA'd him last year. 

Agree subjectively Mancini feels like a better option than Nevin but objectively speaking at this stage (based on Mancini’s recent performance) it’s probably a wash.  Sometimes it’s just better for players to go into new environments - living in South Florida is great maybe felt better to Trey.  

On 1/25/2024 at 9:43 AM, brooooksy said:

I’m not trying to debate the merits of the trade, nor do I understand why “I seem so set in my reality of the situation” - again, these are all supported by facts, versus the subjective “he got a ring with his new team so therefore there is no bad blood with his old team”. Obviously the team didn’t finish as well as hoped and Mancini was bad after. No one is debating that. Only the perception of the trade at the time and from the players. 

The team was “pretty upset”, per Mountcastle and Elias flew to Texas and met 1 on 1 with him, Mullins, and Hays to outline what he was doing. If you didn’t hear that you weren’t paying attention:

This is in addition to the arbitration offer so unusual an agent said “i have never heard of that. I’ve never even thought about that. Something like that has never been brought to me by a club in any way, shape or form”

Meh.  If Mancini was so upset by the arbitration offer, why did he settle his case?   He could have gone to a hearing if he was so butthurt.   As to being traded, everyone knew that was a strong possibility.  He may have preferred to not be traded, but if he was being traded, Houston was a great situation for him.  

I’m not even sure why we’re having this conversation, as the Orioles and Mancini are not well matched at this point.  Trey will want a legit shot to make a major league roster, and that won’t happen in Baltimore as their team is constructed now.  It’s got nothing to do with hurt feelings. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/24/2024 at 4:34 PM, brooooksy said:

Which part is nonsense? It’s all factual.

What you’re suggesting is subjective. you could just as easily suppose that he blames the change of scenery for his decline as you could that he’s grateful he got to go 1 for 21 in the playoffs

Can you please provide the links to the arbitration and deferred salary issues?  What may be "factual" to you may not be for the rest of us.  Thanks in advance!! 

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Meh.  If Mancini was so upset by the arbitration offer, why did he settle his case?   He could have gone to a hearing if he was so butthurt.   As to being traded, everyone knew that was a strong possibility.  He may have preferred to not be traded, but if he was being traded, Houston was a great situation for him.  

I’m not even sure why we’re having this conversation, as the Orioles and Mancini are not well matched at this point.  Trey will want a legit shot to make a major league roster, and that won’t happen in Baltimore as their team is constructed now.  It’s got nothing to do with hurt feelings. 

well he rejected the proposal so why would he go to arb?

and yeah, I don’t get it either. All I suggested was that he might not be happy with the team for real reasons  and a few posters made up why he wasn’t for reasons they made up

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this depresses anyone, but I think Nevin makes the OD roster.  It’s better for him to have the 4th spot with no path to PT rather than a prospect.  Also, no Holliday.

C - Adley

1B - Mounty

DH - O’Hearn

2B - Westburg

SS - Gunnar

3B - Urias

LF - Haysteo 😂

RF- Santa

CF - Mullins

Bench 

McCann

Mateo

One of McKenna/Hillard

Nevin

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sorry if this depresses anyone, but I think Nevin makes the OD roster.  It’s better for him to have the 4th spot with no path to PT rather than a prospect.  Also, no Holliday.

C - Adley

1B - Mounty

DH - O’Hearn

2B - Westburg

SS - Gunnar

3B - Urias

LF - Haysteo 😂

RF- Santa

CF - Mullins

Bench 

McCann

Mateo

One of McKenna/Hillard

Nevin

What would his role be?  His best position is 1B and Mountcastle and O’Hearn would get all of the starts there.  He wouldn’t be a defensive replacement at any position and he sucks against RHP and passable against LHP.    His chances as it stands are slim and none and slim just left town.

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

C - Adley

1B - Mounty

DH - O’Hearn

2B - Westburg

SS - Gunnar

3B - Urias

LF - Haysteo 😂

RF- Santa

CF - Mullins

Bench 

McCann

Mateo

One of McKenna/Hillard

Nevin

Kjerstad will make this team and will play in RF/DH/1B.

There is no need for another infielder with Westburg, Gunnar, Urias, Mateo. Most likely both Kjerstad and O'Hearn make the team though I think they are redundant. 

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

C - Adley

1B - Mounty

DH - O’Hearn

2B - Westburg

SS - Gunnar

3B - Urias

LF - Haysteo 😂

RF- Santa

CF - Mullins

Bench 

McCann

Mateo

One of McKenna/Hillard

Nevin

Nevin will be DFA'd.

It’s not a pro Nevin post. It’s a who better to sit on the bench as the 4th person?  Maybe it’s only for the first 9 games until we call up Holliday.

The options are,

1. Nevin (DH versus LH SP, and LH pinch hitter)

2. We keep both of Hilliard and McKenna 

3. A waiver claim that isn’t on the team. 

4. Norby with an outside shot. 

The Nevin move came right before the Ortiz trade. Nevin is familiar with our team. He’d be ok with just being a temp bench bat in a role vs LHP. We’re familiar with Nevin.

Again, this may only be a 9 game role. Hopefully. 🤞 

I agree with @sportsfan8703. This FO has history with this sort of thing. Odor getting ABs as long as he did, signing Hicks after he looked bad with the Yankees, Mateo is still here.

Nevin played 1B/3B/LF/RF/DH for the Tigers last year. I see being the 5th OFer even though it doesn't make any sense to us.

• Upvote 1