UMD-UNC Thread...

Lucky Jim

WHAT A WIN!!!

I forget the exact sequence, I just remember being down 7 or something with like a minute left. Steal, score, Hanborough charge, score, stop, Vasquez scores, OT. Something crazy.

Tucker with some gigantic threes in the second half that kept us in it. He had a nice driving layup too. I remember thinking that he was showing a lot of skill.

Our remaining schedule(I'm sure there will be a lot of prognostication in the next few days).

Remaining schedule:

vs. Duke

at NC State

vs. Wake Forest

at Virginia

Now I believe if we go 2-2 and win a game in the ACC Tournament we will be in. We would be 20-12. If we beat either Duke or Wake Forest and beat either NC State or Virginia then we are in regardless of the ACC tourney. But we are a bubble team for sure. Beat Duke or Wake Forest along with NC State and Virginia, then we are definitley in.

What an amazing turnaround. Let's finish it up!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see Travel Hansbrough was held to only 11 points...Pretty impressive for MD to do that since they aren't strong up front.

The fact MD won this game getting 10 points combined from Milbourne, Mosley and Bowie is pretty impressive.

What a game by Vazquez....as good a single game performance as any Terp has ever had, especially when you consider opponent, need for victory, etc...

Yeah the defense was outstanding on Hansbrough. You mentioned Maryland being weak in the post, but you add the foul trouble of Gregory, Neal, and Milbourne and it's incredible.

It's kinda funny how similar the basketball team is to the football team. They'll blow some games that leave you scratching your head (Morgan State in basketball, Middle Tennessee State in football), but they're equally capable of some huge upsets. At least they keep things interesting. :)

What a game.

Games like today are why I laugh at anyone who tries to sell me that Gary Williams isn't a great coach. Just convincing the team that they've got a chance against a team that has much more talent like UNC is a huge feat. I want someone to come in here and tell me again how Williams is a decent coach who is considered a great coach only because of Juan Dixon.

What an amazing game by Vasquez. The kid has quite a heart.

When Tucker gets his feet under him, he has a sweet stroke.

When Hayes missed 4 of his first 5 threes despite being wide open on all of them, I must admit I thought and said some not so nice things. I've got to give him credit. He played an outstanding second half and OT. Ballsy free throws by Hayes and Vasquez at the end of OT.

Mackus was really upset with them in Clemson the other night, but I didn't see it. I thought they played their hearts out. They just got blown out by a really hot shooting talented team. I think these guys play with a lot of guts considering how little height they've got.

What a really fun game to watch!!! I'm so happy for this team.

I agree completely. This is why GW's gotta right the recruiting ship, because deep down I don't want to see anyone coaching the Terps except Gary.

It truly was Garyland today at Comcast, his intensity carried over to the floor for the players, and into the seats for the fans. He's a legend, and I hope he's gonna turn it around. What a game.

I see Travel Hansbrough was held to only 11 points...Pretty impressive for MD to do that since they aren't strong up front.

It definitely looked to me (and like I said, I only saw the second half) that as opposed to the last time we played where the Heels would pass inside, the Terps would collapse in and the ball would be kicked out for a wide-open three (that would go in), the Terps were able to get back out when the ball went back out.

Really, that may have been the best I've seen Maryland play in two years.

Vazquez played an amazing game. There are many times he leaves me frustrated and wishing he played for Duke- but not anymore!

Honestly, I never really understood all the hype about him but tonight completely changed my mind.

Now if only he would call GW "Coach" instead of "Gary" whenever he is quoted talking about him.

What a great game. If this team can manage 8 wins and make the tournament (and I think 8 wins should do it, in this conference and with wins against UNC and MSU on the resume), I'll be happy to admit I was wrong about this team and call this one of Gary's best coaching jobs. I think winning at UVa is very doable. Getting the other win will be hard, but if they play like they did today they can certainly beat Wake or win at NCST.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but it seems to me that the fortunes of this team started to turn around when Cliff Tucker started to get more playing time.

Congrats you guys..You outplayed us down the stretch and deserved to win.

Enjoy it.

You guys played great, too. If Carolina had won, even after the comeback and overtime, I would have been disappointed, but not for very long after watching how both teams fought.

(By the way, I'm still doing a little white-boy-can't-dance dance as I type this :laughlol: ;))

You guys played great, too. If Carolina had won, even after the comeback and overtime, I would have been disappointed, but not for very long after watching how both teams fought.

(By the way, I'm still doing a little white-boy-can't-dance dance as I type this :laughlol: ;))

Yea, I thought we played great too. These two always have great, respectful games against each other. Two GREAT coaches going at it, and tonight you were the better team. Enjoy the win and go out there and Beat the crap out of Duke on Wednesday too.

The fact MD won this game getting 10 points combined from Milbourne, Mosley and Bowie is pretty impressive.

What a game by Vazquez....as good a single game performance as any Terp has ever had, especially when you consider opponent, need for victory, etc...

Travel (I like that), gets away with more than any player in CBB. He pushes Mosley on the baseline late and no call. He gets trapped in the corner, elbows his way out and starts a fast break and no call. He shifts the pivot every time in traffic and no call and he flops all over the place and gets every call. He will be a bust at the next level. The NCAA will probably grant him a 5th year.

Archived