Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

Here is a thought.

During ST Elias will be looking to determine if and when Bradish will be able to pitch for the O's this year.  Will he be the Bradish of 2023 or something less than that?

If the answer turns out negative and teams continue the stare down with Boras for Montgomery and Snell, might the O's offer a short term deal to one  of those pitchers?   Might Rubenstein tell JA and Elias to make that move?

Rosenthal is reporting that neither Texas nor the Yankees are in a position to take on either of those two players salaries.

A one year, $40 million offer from the Yankees turns into $84 million with luxury tax implications, so my guess is that they have a multi-year contract out that manipulates the numbers.  

Orioles could offer something, but I am just not sure that it happens until an ownership change is official.  It also appears that there is a hard line that front offices are drawing with Boras if you read the comments coming from some GMs/heads of operations.  It’s all vaguely specific and not necessarily breaking rules and collusion and such…….but it’s an interesting off-season.  

On 2/20/2024 at 9:49 AM, MCO'sFan said:

While I would love for the new ownership group will open up the checkbook for some high end FA's, I'm not getting my hopes up until it happens. They can certainly afford to do it but will they?

Until the sale is approved, no big FA signings are happening.  If for some obscure reason the sale is not approved, there is no way JA is paying a big contract "out of his pocket".

6 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Until the sale is approved, no big FA signings are happening.  If for some obscure reason the sale is not approved, there is no way JA is paying a big contract "out of his pocket".

I agree and to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that. 

On 2/22/2024 at 6:28 AM, Just Regular said:

This also came up in my yoo-toob feed, and I watched it last night.  It was done in 2021, so zero discussion of the Orioles, but still really interesting to hear him talk (seems like the shy, geekish kid in school, no offense (I was one too)).  

Having spent so much time in Annapolis that I considered it my second home (lived in Crofton), was kinda disappointed that he'd never been to the State House before. 

Otherwise, am impressed by the overall picture this interview provided. 

David Rubenstein’s purchase of the Baltimore Orioles from John Angelos is likely to become official in April, a person briefed on the sales process told The Athletic on Monday. There’s an outside chance the sale could be done in time for Opening Day, on March 28. Only procedural hurdles remain, rather than substantive issues, the person said.

“If we miss Opening Day, it’s not for lack of trying, but it should be shortly thereafter,” the person said.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

David Rubenstein’s purchase of the Baltimore Orioles from John Angelos is likely to become official in April, a person briefed on the sales process told The Athletic on Monday. There’s an outside chance the sale could be done in time for Opening Day, on March 28. Only procedural hurdles remain, rather than substantive issues, the person said.

“If we miss Opening Day, it’s not for lack of trying, but it should be shortly thereafter,” the person said.

So that means if people are counting on Rubenstein being in charge of MASN and using common sense and concern for the fans and good PR, to avoid depriving a large segment of O's fans who rely on Comcast of being able to watch their games... he won't be in a position to make such a deal until after the season has started ???

14 minutes ago, SteveA said:

So that means if people are counting on Rubenstein being in charge of MASN and using common sense and concern for the fans and good PR, to avoid depriving a large segment of O's fans who rely on Comcast of being able to watch their games... he won't be in a position to make such a deal until after the season has started ???

Nope.  Obviously, JA can solicit Rubenstein’s views and assistance.  But Rubenstein’s not in charge until he is.  

Since the expiration of the Comcast deal was foreseeable while the Rubenstein acquisition was being negotiated, it’s possible Rubenstein has an out if a deal isn’t done, or isn’t done on certain terms.   Who knows?

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

I would think that Bloomberg might have some expertise/experience on what to do with MASN and how to enhance Orioles media. Perhaps that's one of the reasons he's part of the ownership group.

6 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I would think that Bloomberg might have some expertise/experience on what to do with MASN and how to enhance Orioles media. Perhaps that's one of the reasons he's part of the ownership group.

I'm not expecting Bloomberg to spend a lot of time on the O's.