Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Been selling real estate holdings and now the law firm. 

3 attorneys of Peter Angelos law firm to buy his practice – Baltimore Sun
https://www.baltimoresun.com/2024/02/28/3-attorneys-of-peter-angelos-law-firm-to-buy-his-practice/

This had to happen.  Louis Angelos doesn’t even work there anymore, and nonlawyers can’t own a law firm.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 7:12 PM, SteveA said:

So that means if people are counting on Rubenstein being in charge of MASN and using common sense and concern for the fans and good PR, to avoid depriving a large segment of O's fans who rely on Comcast of being able to watch their games... he won't be in a position to make such a deal until after the season has started ???

Usually those things get resolved when there is deadline. 

Opening Day is the deadline. 

On 2/26/2024 at 7:31 PM, Frobby said:

Nope.  Obviously, JA can solicit Rubenstein’s views and assistance.  But Rubenstein’s not in charge until he is.  

Since the expiration of the Comcast deal was foreseeable while the Rubenstein acquisition was being negotiated, it’s possible Rubenstein has an out if a deal isn’t done, or isn’t done on certain terms.   Who knows?

I kind of hope that it is not renewed or that the holdup is the streaming rights issue. I think we have discussed in the past that I/we believe the contracts with the cable company's is why MASN can't offer stand alone streaming. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/26/2024 at 7:12 PM, SteveA said:

So that means if people are counting on Rubenstein being in charge of MASN and using common sense and concern for the fans and good PR, to avoid depriving a large segment of O's fans who rely on Comcast of being able to watch their games... he won't be in a position to make such a deal until after the season has started ???

The Comcast web site (link below) indicates that the MASN contract is now through March. Previously said February. So they seem to have more time to work things out, and if we're lucky, the new ownership will be in place before the end of March when the contract expires.

https://www.xfinity.com/programmingchanges

The Effectively Wild podcast's Orioles preview is out, and guest Danielle Allentuck had the operational detail MLB owners could via conference call at any given moment ratify with the requisite 22 out of 29 yea votes.

I'd known pre-Opening Day approval might be in play prior to the next quarterly meeting, but it was a little new to me the Easy Button might be quite that prominent.

Note she was not talking about any anticipated action, just the mechanics when the league is ready.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The Effectively Wild podcast's Orioles preview is out, and guest Danielle Allentuck had the operational detail MLB owners could via conference call at any given moment ratify with the requisite 22 out of 29 yea votes.

I'd known pre-Opening Day approval might be in play prior to the next quarterly meeting, but it was a little new to me the Easy Button might be quite that prominent.

Note she was not talking about any anticipated action, just the mechanics when the league is ready.

MLB wants this family gone. This is going to be an easy process.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

David Rubenstein (and the who's who list of others) makes it as easy as it possibly could be.  Blue bloods know the drill.

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I didn't listen to the podcast but I might guess she is referencing the Mets sale which was done over conference call due to Covid.  I'm not sure that sets precedence but I do agree the owners want the Angelos family gone today.  I think Manfred's comments on a quick sale was a somewhat veiled threat to their litigous nature.