Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

2 minutes ago, csgordos said:

A quick note about peak male athlete age is 27/28.  No way should a team that doesn’t have unlimited resources ($) give out $30M/7+ years.   Anyone hear of a player named Chris Davis.   I know this is way different, but I look forward to Yankees to cont to pay a ton of money for non-contributing players for years to come.  This is a one year rental.  Have to give up talent to get it.  Hard part is that this is the same as saving for retirement for 40 years and now it is scary to spend it.  For 30 years we always were “taking talent back”.  Now we switch to giving away young talent.  Hard mental shift for many.  Great trade!!!  Not expecting anything more than 1 year. 

Angelos has absolutely ruined this fanbase. The damage will be felt for years to come. Some might never recover. 

• Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I have looked at them..but if you look at 2021 and 2022, you can see the decline.

That doesn’t mean the  numbers aren’t still excellent because they are. But less Ks, more BBs, decreasing velo, less missed bats and less strikes thrown are not things to push aside.

It’s just that they are coming down from such a high point that even if they decline, they are still really good.

Right, but I think the term "red flags" is too aggressive. 

Losing Hall hurts, IMO. I kinda would've rather seen say, Johnson and Povich go. Or Johnson / Povich and Norby. But who knows if Milwaukee would've accepted that, it might be that they really wanted Hall. In which case, is kinda scary, given Milwaukee's record with pitchers. 

17 minutes ago, Remember The Alomar said:

I saw "Orioles" trending on Twitter, assumed that the sale had fallen apart somehow, and instead it's because we traded for a former Cy Young winner in his 20s. This is like if I ran into Ana de Armas at a 7/11 and she asked me if I wanted to get dinner. 

And now she is nibbling at your ear

I wonder what impact the O’s analytics can have on Burnes 2024 season. Verlander got the spin rate feedback that took his game to a new level. The Brewere are probably better than the Tigers were during that trade, but I am curious about pitch usage or what a slight tweak might do!

Someone already mentioned a slider/curve pitched only 18% by Burnes in ‘23 being his most effective.

Will follow Ortiz and Hall and wish them the best!

1 hour ago, Chaka Garcia said:

We still have Mateo and the guy who won the GG.  Where do you slot him -you thinking if someone got injured?

There's nothing wrong with having some extra talent.   Guys get hurt.   Guys underperform.

13 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Why would Urias be starting? Wouldn’t it make the most sense to break camp with Holliday so that he can have the best chance to win the rookie of the year?

No it wouldn’t. Maybe Holliday dazzles everyone in spring, but I still see no scenario where keeping Holliday in Norfolk for three weeks, at least, isn’t the preferred option. 

• Upvote 1