Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

4 hours ago, deward said:

Looking at how Brewers pitching has done in recent years, I'm guessing they're pretty good at scouting reports. 

Elias and Stearns are both from the Houston tree.  Stearns set up the Brewers system before stepping down for an advisory role. 

• Upvote 1

I watched the Elias interview and the Burnes interview on Foul Territory.  A few things:

1.  Check out the room where Elias is doing his interview.   He’s either gone into the witness protection program, or he’s in a bomb shelter waiting for the Big One.   What does he know that we don’t know?

2.  Burnes, on the other hand, did a thirty minute interview sitting in his car, seemingly in the middle of nowhere. 
The car’s not moving, and yet he has his seatbelt on the entire time.  

3.  Elias just exudes competence, discipline and confidence in his methods and plan.  I’m so damned happy he’s our GM.

4.  Burnes seems like a really relaxed dude.  You can tell he’s been interviewed on this show a lot and had a great rapport with the hosts.  He seemed very happy and excited to be coming to Baltimore and ready to show us what he’s got.  

5.  I am in no way expecting Burnes to sign an extension, but he wasn’t as dismissive of it as I’d been led to believe in reading others’ summaries of this interview.  

Anyway, Burnes seems like he’ll fit into our clubhouse easily and be an excellent veteran leader for our staff.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I watched the Elias interview and the Burnes interview on Foul Territory.  A few things:

1.  Check out the room where Elias is doing his interview.   He’s either gone into the witness protection program, or he’s in a bomb shelter waiting for the Big One.   What does he know that we don’t know?

2.  Burnes, on the other hand, did a thirty minute interview sitting in his car, seemingly in the middle of nowhere. 
The car’s not moving, and yet he has his seatbelt on the entire time.  

3.  Elias just exudes competence, discipline and confidence in his methods and plan.  I’m so damned happy he’s our GM.

4.  Burnes seems like a really relaxed dude.  You can tell he’s been interviewed on this show a lot and had a great rapport with the hosts.  He seemed very happy and excited to be coming to Baltimore and ready to show us what he’s got.  

5.  I am in no way expecting Burnes to sign an extension, but he wasn’t as dismissive of it as I’d been led to believe in reading others’ summaries of this interview.  

Anyway, Burnes seems like he’ll fit into our clubhouse easily and be an excellent veteran leader for our staff.  

What has struck me is that Burnes seems to actually follow baseball a bit. He knew Bradish was good last year and specifically has noted that G-Rod had a great second half.  It doesn’t really mean much that he follows the game, but still interesting. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

There seemed to be some bad feelings/ vibes with the Brewers and the arbitration process.   I think he was basically done with them.  He may still want to test free agency,  but wouldn't be surprised if his extension went from 0% to even 5% with a fresh start.   Like you say, not expecting based on a lot of stuff out there,  but wonder if he considers just a little bit more. 

6 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

There seemed to be some bad feelings/ vibes with the Brewers and the arbitration process.   I think he was basically done with them.  He may still want to test free agency,  but wouldn't be surprised if his extension went from 0% to even 5% with a fresh start.   Like you say, not expecting based on a lot of stuff out there,  but wonder if he considers just a little bit more. 

Yep. This was my thought too. When he said there was no way he would extend, that’s because he was still with the Brewers and wanted out.

That said, I still don’t think an extension is realistic for many reasons…but I also agree that if the Os offered him a deal worth it, he would sign it. I’m not sure he would have signed it with Milwaukee.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well he does now work for the Illuminati. It’s like when they have to do that first presidential briefing. 

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

What has struck me is that Burnes seems to actually follow baseball a bit. He knew Bradish was good last year and specifically has noted that G-Rod had a great second half.  It doesn’t really mean much that he follows the game, but still interesting. 

If this trade was in the works all offseason maybe he was aware that Baltimore was high-probability destination and he’s been lurking here. 

I saw a screen grab somewhere of the BTV readout - those modelers look like they'll be close to the mark on this real world transaction made by Arnold and Elias.

It did make me  wonder if Burnes could get ~1/50 for 2024 if he was willing to sell his capabilities this season for that short a period - their data places his field value this season about around there.

Boras I think is probably happy to get the AL East proving ground.   NL Central skepticism may have been an angle Stearns or Cashman or Cohen could take otherwise.

Assuming Burnes is Opening Day and it holds together well enough he throws Games 1-6-11-16, it looks like he will miss both the Pirates and Brewers series the Orioles have in the first part of April.     DL Hall and Joey Ortiz visit OPACY April 12-14.     Will the baseball gods entertain us with a Hall v. Rodriguez face off?

3 hours ago, 24fps said:

If this trade was in the works all offseason maybe he was aware that Baltimore was high-probability destination and he’s been lurking here. 

He seemed to be indicating that he wasn’t sure where he was going and hadn’t necessarily heard more about any one team than another. 

I like what Jake Peavy said on MLB network.  He talk about how invaluable it is for the rest of the staff to be able to learn from Burnes.  Compared it to his time with the Braves learning from Greg Maddux.  If any of the current guys can learn that cutter from Burnes, watch out.

Great trade for both clubs.  Ortiz is going to be 26 by the end of the season.  His time is now.   If the Brewers unlock something in Hall they win too.