Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I do not care about spring training. At all. 

The only thing that matters is that guys are healthy and get through it injury free. 

Burnes is a professional and by all accounts a hard worker and dedicated to his craft. I’m sure he’ll be ready to go. 

I thought you were going to do a Dr. Seuss about why I don't care about spring training stats at all. I just care they play well in the fall  We know spring training is to get in shape for the season. Other then that for veterans there are no other reasons. 

Do Pitching Stats Matter in Spring Training? | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/359549-do-pitchers-spring-training-stats-matter

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

Cool. So you’re one of those that for whatever reason, gets unnecessarily worried about ST numbers?

I only picked this example because it’s one I always have remembered. There are countless examples, including several good ones from recent years. I’m sure you know that. Maybe you don’t. 

Anyway, Burnes is fine. Noting to worry about.  

My quip failed... I'm not worried about Burnes.

• Upvote 1

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Would Hall and Ortiz even have made the OD 26?  If so, they’d just be replacing Nevin, and Akin, as the last man on bench, and last reliever in the bullpen. Burnes is also the odds on favorite right now to win AL CYA. 

Hall definitely makes it.  He may be a starter, as he will be for Milwaukee, or he would be a key BP member..certainly not the last guy.

Ortiz is a maybe…depends on what else they may have done instead.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Would Hall and Ortiz even have made the OD 26?  If so, they’d just be replacing Nevin, and Akin, as the last man on bench, and last reliever in the bullpen. Burnes is also the odds on favorite right now to win AL CYA. 

Hall, definitely. Ortiz, maybe. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I believe they would have if they were still around. Hall for sure, and Ortiz probably. 

But whether it was Ortiz/Hall or not, I don't think we were ever going to reach Opening Day without shipping out a couple guys for a SP. 

It’s easy to just throw out a “they would make it” statement. My point being is that they would make it only taking the spots of Nevin and Akin. So they “make it” as our 5th IF and 3rd LH RP. Hall is out of options as well so then we’d lose that flexibility within the bullpen. 

This wasn’t a spare parts trade in the way that Rom, Prieto, and Showalter was, but this Burnes trade was a spare parts trade. Just better quality spare parts.  That’s not an insult.  

As much as we love Hall’s “Baseball America” fastball, and Ortiz’s defense, they still would have been deployed as the 5th IF and 3rd lefty on this current roster. Toss in a first rd pick in a weak draft, and this was a great trade for a dude favored to win the AL CYA. 

5 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I see nothing from the way this FA has worked thus far that makes me think Ortiz would have made the OD roster.

I think Hall certainly would have.

100% Hall would have made the team as the 3rd lefty in the pen. Perhaps the Orioles would have traded Urias to make room for Ortiz, but once Holliday showed up, where was he going to play?

Ortiz was the exact guy you move for a TOR, even one that you only get 1 year of for now. And I was a big supporter of Ortiz and think he's going to be a quality big league shortstop.