Taking a look at when the Os faced Burnes last season

interloper

I was excited about Burnes so I went back and watched some of the June 7 game in Milwaukee when we faced him. They destroyed us 10-2 and Dean Kremer did not, uh, shall we say "model his game" enough on Burnes in this one.

This was during Mullins' injury and prior to Gunnar breaking out or Westburg arriving so Hyde ran out probably one of his most atrocious lineups of the year:

Frazier (GAH)
Rutschman
Hays (3rd?)
Santander
Hicks
Henderson (still batting .200)
O'Hearn
Lester (yikes)
Mateo (woof) 

Needless to say Burnes took his reverse splits and made short work of this lefty-heavy lineup, going 8 innings (!) with only 2 hits and 9 Ks. No walks. He was getting a ton of quick, bad contact resulting in easy outs, and when he wasn't he was making everyone look silly with the cutter either backdoor or in on the hands. Then he would throw a 4 seam up and get bad contact. The Milwaukee broadcasters seemed excited about him looking like the Cy Young Burnes, but again, that lineup was definitely doing him some favors.

Kremer went 5 and gave up 6 including 2 homers. This is one of those games when his cutter wasn't working and he just didn't throw the curveball. Later on in the year Kremer started mixing the curveball in again and using the 4 seam more, at least that's what I recall. But the fact that he still gutted out 5 in a game like this is why he was able to throw 172 innings. 

Zimmermann would mop up the rest of the game, going 3 and giving up 4 more. Bleh.

The rookie CF Wiemer torched us, going 4-4 with 5 RBIs from the 9th spot. 

Hyde got tossed in the 5th arguing a called 3rd strike on O'Hearn.

We would avoid the sweep in the rubber match the following day but it was one of those forgettable losses against a pitcher who just had his way with us. Here's to being on the other end of this next season! 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Frobby said:

I think I avoided watching this game.  MASN should put it on Orioles Classics just so we can get a look at our new ace.  

Yeah I did not rewatch the whole thing, just in case you think I'm a psycho lol. 

One of those games that goes exactly how you'd think on paper. Which wasn't the case a lot of the time for this Orioles team, but it was against Burnes. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think I avoided watching this game.  MASN should put it on Orioles Classics just so we can get a look at our new ace.  

I’ll take MASN showing some games from last year at all. Some of the games vs TB. Instead nothing. 

Burnes also pitched in Camden Yards in the first week of 2022 and dominated in a depressing game. It was the only game I attended that season. 

Burnes pitched 7 IP scoreless, 8 Ks. The O's tied it in the bottom of the 8th. Jorge Lopez lost it in the top of the 9th and the O's lost 4-2. 

But you'll remember it as the game John Means left with injury and ultimately needed TJ. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I’ll take MASN showing some games from last year at all. Some of the games vs TB. Instead nothing. 

Have they not shown any games from 2023 yet?  Two nights ago they showed an extra inning win against Tampa from 2022.   That was the game where Ji-Man Choi bungled a soft chopper by Rougned Odor and Adley scored the winning run.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Have they not shown any games from 2023 yet?  Two nights ago they showed an extra inning win against Tampa from 2022.   That was the game where Ji-Man Choi bungled a soft chopper by Rougned Odor and Adley scored the winning run.  

I may have missed it but I don’t think so.   

18 hours ago, interloper said:

Yeah I did not rewatch the whole thing, just in case you think I'm a psycho lol. 

One of those games that goes exactly how you'd think on paper. Which wasn't the case a lot of the time for this Orioles team, but it was against Burnes. 

So what does it tell you. In the other thread be basically said he wasn’t healthy. 

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

So what does it tell you. In the other thread be basically said he wasn’t healthy. 

It tells me even when he's not at his best he's still capable of shutting teams down because he's an ace.

Also it tells me he took full advantage of us running out a bad lineup.

4 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

There’s a number of full games from last year available on Youtube.

I actually remembered that you can go back and watch games from previous seasons on MLB.TV. This whole topic got it on my mind. Watched some of the September Sunday 2023 comeback vs TB.  

14 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I saw Orioles Classics on today. It was another game from the Braves series in the Covid year. The ones they showed during every rain delay this year. 

Why anyone would show games from that dreadful season is beyond me.