Hypothetical Tanner Scott trade scenarios

interloper

45 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I may be in the minority but I think Urias is worth more than a reliever with 1 year of control. 3 years of control, A GG on his resume. His offensive number seemed to be much better for some reason in 2022 but looking he’s only about 15 points off between those 2 years. And he can play multiple positions in the infield. Plus about 6 war over 2 seasons 

You are definitely in the minority. Just the potential of a high leverage reliever for one contending season is worth more than a bench utility player.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Miami still makes some sense to trade with and they have a piece that would make a lot of sense for us in old buddy Tanner Scott. 

Scott is, of course, good now after years of frustrating starts and stops as an Oriole. He's like DL Hall in almost every way except that there were no allusions of Scott being a SP. It would be pretty funny to trade for him back, but past history aside he fills the DL Hall hole perfectly.

He was worth 3.6 (!) rWAR last year. 2.31 ERA, 0.987 WHIP (!), threw 78 (!) innings and had 12 K/9. Sheesh. That's a horse right there.

We have a lot of things Miami could use, like infielders and outfielders. But it's tough to figure out what Scott is worth exactly, for one year.

Personally, I think Norby straight up is more than fair considering the years of control. Maybe Norby plus a pitcher from last year's draft. Miami probably prefers a SS, but Mateo is hardly enticing I'm sure. Unless they really like Stowers and you could do a Stowers + Mateo + low-A pitcher, but it seems unlikely. Thoughts? 

Love the idea, but I honestly have no idea what the Marlins are trying to do right now. They currently have eight legitimate candidates for their starting rotation and nine if you count AJ Puk who "wants to start". And they really don't have a legitimate MLB caliber SS currently on their roster. In hindsight Ortiz would have probably made the most sense for them, but I'm even then I just don't think they have the bullpen depth to part with Scott. What they need to do is trade one of those starting pitchers!

38 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

You are definitely in the minority. Just the potential of a high leverage reliever for one contending season is worth more than a bench utility player.

He’s only a bench player here because we are stacked. 

He's not a guy you give up a ton for. He's had 1 good year and is definitely not a lock to be that guy this year. I'd wait until the deadline and see what he's doing, it's the same scenario of giving up the farm for Cease because he had one incredible season.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I may be in the minority but I think Urias is worth more than a reliever with 1 year of control. 3 years of control, A GG on his resume. His offensive number seemed to be much better for some reason in 2022 but looking he’s only about 15 points off between those 2 years. And he can play multiple positions in the infield. Plus about 6 war over 2 seasons 

I don't think he is. Scott was a top ten reliever in all of baseball last season. And Urias did nothing in 2023 to suggest that he'll ever be able to duplicate his 2022 offensive numbers again. He's just a bench bat and would only get significant play on a VERY bad team. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

He’s only a bench player here because we are stacked. 

He's bench player because he only hit 4 HRs in 360 ABs last season. And he doesn't steal bases either. So no power and no speed. I don't care how good he is defensively a player who's that terrible with the bat is never going to be intentionally given regular ABs. 

This Marlins guy said after the Burnes trade that the Marlins thought they were getting Ortiz in a Luzardo deal (presumably with other big pieces) and basically now don’t know what to do.

The Orioles and Marlins were at least talking so maybe there’s some ability to refocus on Scott or another RP they have, although the caliber of players will be wildly different.