JD Martinez

Roll Tide

2 hours ago, Rustbelt said:

There are several things that teams do I cannot understand.

1. Signing DH only players

2. Draft and develop exclusively relief pitchers

3. Spending a high draft pick on 1B

Obviously, there are some exceptions but these limit team's roster options. 

Exactly. This roster has been constructed since the day we became competitive to not need a dedicated DH. This post is silly.  

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

****** Martinez made $10 million last year. Even if it’s solely Angelos that’s in the price range on a 1 year deal.

Maybe so, but if they are in the market to spend once they get a fix on possible production of the guys trying to permanently break in (which I think they are doing), that's 10M less on the maybe 20-25M budget they might be willing to spend come the trade deadline to give us a better push than we had last year.  I don't think it's an "Angelos" thing.  I think it's an Elias thing.  I think he'll spend and be able to when he finds the value he's looking for. 

Could be totally wrong, but that's how I see it.  Plus, I think they're far more likely to spend money on a RP if they do anything else prior to the trade deadline.  And then that figure comes out of that 20-25M I think they might have to play with this season.

• 7 months later...

Probably the vet bat that makes the most since given where we actually have players we could move for him. 

He’s not going to give us 162. It’s more of a playoff move with the hopes you get 100+ games at DH from him. Vet for the clubhouse as well.  

Mountcastle goes. JD is the everyday DH. O’Hearn/Mayo platoon at 1B. 

It’s not a magic fix, but it’s an actual change that could realistically happen. Makes sense IMO. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

He's one of those guys that would be terrifying to face in a big spot but you don't want him playing every day on your team. He walks more than Mountcastle but also strikes out more. I guess you hope that he bounces back to his 2023 numbers but it that reasonable at age 37? Three year Zips projects .706 and .667 in '25-'26. I don't see what he brings over Mountcastle at this point in his career. 

37 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mountcastle goes. JD is the everyday DH. O’Hearn/Mayo platoon at 1B. 

It’s not a magic fix, but it’s an actual change that could realistically happen. Makes sense IMO. 

JD Martinez will be 37 and is coming off a .725 OPS season. How does this scenario help the team at all?

43 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

JD Martinez will be 37 and is coming off a .725 OPS season. How does this scenario help the team at all?

His statcast page is really good though. He could be a candidate for a bounce back and will likely be a relatively cheap signing.

I don’t love the fit but I can see the justification for doing it.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

His statcast page is really good though. He could be a candidate for a bounce back and will likely be a relatively cheap signing.

I don’t love the fit but I can see the justification for doing it.

Or another drop-off. Which is more likely at 37?

image.thumb.png.628274c3a482a1b02f386a70c86357dc.png

10 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Or another drop-off. Which is more likely at 37?

image.thumb.png.628274c3a482a1b02f386a70c86357dc.png

I actually may bet on the resurgence more.

His xBA was 261 and his xSlug was 484. Those numbers were far higher than his actual stats. Same with his xwOBA vs his wOBA.

I agree with you that the age is a concern. All I am saying is there is a lot of evidence that suggests a bounce back is definitely possible. For what I will guess he signs for this offseason (7M or less), he could end up being a big bargain for some team.

I don't think the O's should be that team but he did have an 836 OPS vs lefties.  

Since JD Martinez has a career OPS of .950 in the postseason across 12 series and 151 plate appearances, I am sure our FO will have no use for him.  A veteran player who has experienced a lot of postseason success rarely helps young teams get to that next level.

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Why did you pare down my quote about it being for the post season and not just 162?  People, always so quick to clown someone. Lmao. Damn. At least use my whole quote bro. 

If you think that we don’t need at least one proven playoff bat then that’s ok. My point is, that we have enough 1B/DH options to carry JD through his ups/downs/injuries over 162 for his experience, leadership, and playoff experience. 

You can disagree, but quote me right. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why did you pare down my quote about it being for the post season and not just 162?  People, always so quick to clown someone. Lmao. Damn. At least use my whole quote bro. 

If you think that we don’t need at least one proven playoff bat then that’s ok. My point is, that we have enough 1B/DH options to carry JD through his ups/downs/injuries over 162 for his experience, leadership, and playoff experience. 

Your full quote said to use him as a DH for 100+ games. If you are worried about him being covered through his injuries - how can you assume he wouldn't be injured at the end of the season, going into the playoffs?

JD Martinez would be a more of the same kind of acquisition. He is not an impact bat and he is a periphery (around the margins) piece at this point.

Why not set the bar higher and sign Alonso? Acquiring Pete Alonso allows you to move on from Mountcastle and put Mayo (where he belongs right now) DH. It also allows you to move on from O'Hearn. 

Alonso gets everyday ABs and Mayo does. Those two things to a large degree help solve the lineup imbalance against LHP.

I know Alonso will cost real money. But again who are we paying? The money is there. It's time to start using it (if we want to win in October).