JD Martinez

Roll Tide

48 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I hear you. I wonder about persons who constantly need to express themselves in such a vitriolic manner on an anonymous internet message board? From time to time I allow myself to be curious about what could be going on in a person’s life to cause them that so of anger and angst? 

Oh well, I hope it gets better.

SG is a buffon. He attacks you and me and many others because he is Mr Right and anyone who disagrees with him is wrong and a idiot and he will call you names  like a petulant child.  If this was my board it would be no place for him here and his nonsense. He's satisfied with the Orioles making the playoffs and getting bounced in the first round as long as payroll is below 100 million and hoard their prospects. When this guy is shouting me down because I said the Rogers trade was bad and he liked it and likes pitcher like Dettmers that is all I need to know about him . 😂 😂 

4 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

SG is a buffon. He attacks you and me and many others because he is Mr Right and anyone who disagrees with him is wrong and an idiot and he will call you names  like a petulant child.  If this was my board it would be no place for him here and his nonsense. He's satisfied with the Orioles making the playoffs and getting bounced in the first round as long as payroll is below 100 million and hoard their prospects. When this guy is shouting me down because I said the Rogers trade was bad and he liked it and likes pitcher like Dettmers that is all I need to know about him . 😂 😂 

If it makes you feel better, it’s  not the disagreeing with me that makes you an idiot.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Right..if the Orioles can trade for Brenton Doyle (my favorite top target), why should we care that his salary is low? Also in that scenario, Mullins is likely gone, so payroll would actually go down I believe.

But someone like Bemore wins would still complain because the payroll isn’t where he thinks it should be.

Tell me more about Doyle and why you’ve ID’d him. What should we know about him?

I’m still reading back in this thread from yesterday, but I like Martinez for his leadership and experience.

Also, this is directed at everyone… how much of our player’s cumulative stats from hitting were accrued before the @HOU series where we got figured out?

20 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

JD Martinez would be a more of the same kind of acquisition. He is not an impact bat and he is a periphery (around the margins) piece at this point.

Why not set the bar higher and sign Alonso? Acquiring Pete Alonso allows you to move on from Mountcastle and put Mayo (where he belongs right now) DH. It also allows you to move on from O'Hearn. 

Alonso gets everyday ABs and Mayo does. Those two things to a large degree help solve the lineup imbalance against LHP.

I know Alonso will cost real money. But again who are we paying? The money is there. It's time to start using it (if we want to win in October).

I got a low bar for what ownership will spend until I see otherwise. Those free t shirts that Ruby threw didn’t make me all Googly eyed for him. 

The minimum a team in our situation should do is Burnes + Santa or another vet like JD Martinez. Obviously, I’m open to what more than that is. 

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Tell me more about Doyle and why you’ve ID’d him. What should we know about him?

I’m still reading back in this thread from yesterday, but I like Martinez for his leadership and experience.

Also, this is directed at everyone… how much of our player’s cumulative stats from hitting were accrued before the @HOU series where we got figured out?

He may be the best defensive CFer in the game right now. Elite speed and arm strength.

Right handed bat. Good statcast numbers but also has some swing and miss in his game. Offense is ok. Not overwhelming but not bad.

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He made a fabulous unassisted double play and saved Gunnar an error on a throw.

You only watch when the O's are batting?

That’s right. I forgot about that. Too bad he couldn’t help us with the stick in his hand.

Maybe next year?

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He may be the best defensive CFer in the game right now. Elite speed and arm strength.

Right handed bat. Good statcast numbers but also has some swing and miss in his game. Offense is ok. Not overwhelming but not bad.

Doyle's overall 2024 numbers look really good, but he only hit .211/.271/.364 away from Coors Field and will require a significant prospect package to acquire (if he's even available), so I'd rather just sign Harrison Bader or Tyler O'Neill.

5 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Doyle's overall 2024 numbers look really good, but he only hit .211/.271/.364 away from Coors Field and will require a significant prospect package to acquire (if he's even available), so I'd rather just sign Harrison Bader or Tyler O'Neill.

So there is stuff here I agree with.

He’s high on my list but honestly, the level to which I would push for him only goes so high.

The offense is a question. He is going to be 27 in May, so while it’s possible he really jumps offensively , you figure he only has so much more upside left.

Now, his defense and baserunning can make him a 3-4 win player and that’s really valuable but it’s fair to question how much more valuable is he compared to Mullins that you trade a lot to get him.

If he’s a 750-780 OPs guy for the next 3-4 years, he’s a high end player. If he’s a 710 OPS guy, he’s basically Keirmaier. That’s a good career but what is worth in trade?

And is his speed and defense better then Bradfield?

Edited by Sports Guy