Orioles Showing Interest In Jesús Luzardo per MLBTradeRumors

Billy F-Face3

40 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Westburg could be a 2024 SS option for them. 

Westburg, Cowser/Kjerstad, Povich/Mcdermott

Except unless you want Mateo or Urias starting every single game, we need Westburg this year.  Even IF (and I still think it's a huge IF) Holiday is starting on OD, we still need an infielder unless you play Mateo or Urias or IF Mayo's defense at 3rd has improved enough to give him a legitimate start there.  While we need pitching help, if we seriously weaken other parts of the MLB team that doesn't necessarily make us stronger.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The title suggests something the article doesn’t.

Yes, but it's pretty clear the Marlins are still looking to move a pitcher so the potential is certainly there for a trade, even if it's a lesser SP than Luzardo. This is from three days ago. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/pirates-trade-rumors-marlins-edward-cabrera-free-agency-domingo-german.html

10 days after Opening through 2028 if need be,

3B - Mayo

2B - Holliday

SS - Gunnar

Why keep Westburg to be a 4th IF when we can maximize his value and have him headline a deal for Cease or Luzardo?

It’s not like the cupboard is bare for depth behind those three studs.  We have Urias, Norby, Wagner, and Horvath.  

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Thanks 1

I think the Luzardo stuff was all pre-Burnes trade. While we are just now finding out about Bradish and Means (albeit, it sounds like a very slight delay for Means), Elias and company knew about this for a while. I would expect IF we do anything it will be on the Lorenzen/Ryu level or as an extra RP given it pushes Wells and probably Irvin into the rotation (at least for the start of the year), not the Cease, Luzardo, Snell, Montgomery level. 

If we do see the Orioles add someone at a higher level, that's a signal to me that they're more concerned about Bradish then they're letting on. Of course, the pubic comments about him could be to help on the trade front as posturing, but unless that's the cases, I don't see the Orioles adding another top-end starter (nor should they). 

36 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Yes, but it's pretty clear the Marlins are still looking to move a pitcher so the potential is certainly there for a trade, even if it's a lesser SP than Luzardo. This is from three days ago. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/pirates-trade-rumors-marlins-edward-cabrera-free-agency-domingo-german.html

No doubt and a lefty makes sense since Means is such a question mark.  Just saying, this particular article isn’t reporting new news.

Nothing really new to add here but this was in Nightengale's Notebook

– The Baltimore Orioles, who had extensive talks with the Miami Marlins about starter Jesus Luzardo during the winter, could get back in touch with the news that Kyle Bradish will open the season on the IL and John Means is questionable for opening day. 

USA Today

Would Hays make sense in a Luzardo trade?  He’s coming off an ASG appearance. He has two years left. We have to consider trading him next offseason. Instead of trading Cowser, why not play Cowser and trade Hays. This fits with the Marlins because they are “trying to win now”. 

Westburg, Hays, Povich, + 4th piece for Luzardo. 

The question then becomes is the 4th piece someone like Fabian or more like Beavers?

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Would Hays make sense in a Luzardo trade?  He’s coming off an ASG appearance. He has two years left. We have to consider trading him next offseason. Instead of trading Cowser, why not play Cowser and trade Hays. This fits with the Marlins because they are “trying to win now”. 

The question then becomes is the 4th piece someone like Fabian or more like Beavers?

If the Marlins were truly trying to win now they wouldn’t be trading Luzardo.   

I had a very vivid, very real dream last night that we traded for Luzardo.  Westburg was the centerpiece of the trade from our end, and we only had to give up a few mid-level prospects in addition.  The dream included reactions of O's fans on social media, and Tim Kurkjian talking on TV about the trade. It was so real that when I woke up I thought it actually happened.  I spent probably 10 minutes this morning searching MLBtraderumors and the MLB website for the details until I finally realized it was a dream.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, KojiSplit said:

Nothing really new to add here but this was in Nightengale's Notebook

– The Baltimore Orioles, who had extensive talks with the Miami Marlins about starter Jesus Luzardo during the winter, could get back in touch with the news that Kyle Bradish will open the season on the IL and John Means is questionable for opening day. 

USA Today

How is Means “questionable”. We know he’s missing time. That’s not “questionable”. 

59 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'd do that trade.