Jorge Mateo 2024

Just Regular

2 hours ago, AlbNYfan said:

Very disappointing day for the Mateo haters.

I admit,I was ONE. I'm last to the dance. I was wrong, and I freely admit it. Mateo is electric when he is on a hit streak, and he is on one now. Offensively, defensively,on the bases, giving this team a jolt. Sure, he'll cool off, and he'll slump again, but we are all riding his wave right now . And wont doubt what he can be...ever again.

• Upvote 1

I was a Mateo backer especially against LHP. He hasn’t proven anything but trending in the right direction. His approach and chase rate will define his career. With 100 OPS+ he’s a 3-4 WAR player.

4 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I was a Mateo backer especially against LHP. He hasn’t proven anything but trending in the right direction. His approach and chase rate will define his career. With 100 OPS+ he’s a 3-4 WAR player.

He was worth 3.5 rWAR in 2022 at 84 OPS+.   At 100 OPS+ he’s probably at least 4 WAR, though playing 2B instead of SS knocks his defensive value down a few pegs.  

We’re a different team when he’s hitting. .844 OPS in day games this season. So with him doing this on the weekends it feels bigger. It also makes Gunnar be more of a RBI guy even though he’s batting 1. 

Mullins and Mateo can make this lineup scary. Like a 1-2 combo in front of Gunnar everytime through the order except Gunnar’s 1st AB. 

1 hour ago, oriolediehard said:

Does anybody know that he is an ex Yankee?

Yes and at one point was a higher rated prospect in their system than Aaron Judge. It took awhile with the bat but he was always an amazing athlete with the ability for defensive wizardry. 

Before the season, I was one in trade Mateo camp . He only played SS , but with Gunnar locking up SS , I was not sure about his value anymore. But when he started playing at Second and CF , he looked like he picking up at these positions.  I think maybe he should be their utility player now. 

2 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

If you execute your slider, you are in good shape against Mateo.

If you hang your slider, RIP.

That can be said about most hitters in the major leagues. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

If you execute your slider, you are in good shape against Mateo.

If you hang your slider, RIP.

Agreed.  He’s impacting the ball more like last April when he does get a mistake.   He’s also done a better job of staying on the outside fastball.   As I’ve said before, he’ll never be a good hitter, but when he’s going good at least he’s a threat.   Combined with his other attributes that’s got value.

9 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Agreed, but it just seems a little more pronounced with Jorge.

I also agree that’s definitely been a big problem for him.  I’m sure if someone looked at his chase rate on sliders this year it would be better than previous years. I’m just judging by the fact that I see him layoff one every once in a while..

10 minutes ago, Spakman said:

I also agree that’s definitely been a big problem for him.  I’m sure if someone looked at his chase rate on sliders this year it would be better than previous years. I’m just judging by the fact that I see him layoff one every once in a while..

Not specific to sliders, but if you toggle between 2023 and 2024, you can see his chase rate and whiff rate are significantly improved 

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jorge-mateo-622761?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb