The Kjerstad/Cowser spring competition

Frobby

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I want the team to give both Cowser and Kjerstad at bats against established Big League left handed pitchers. Then we can get a sample size to make some educated decisions. Right now Cowser is outperforming Kjerstad but I also don't know if Kjerstad is getting as much playing time because all I have to go on are box scores without seeing the games.

Daniel Johnson is outperforming Kjerstad.  He spent most of last year in AA.   Tyler Nevin is killing it!    Pump the brakes!

Here’s more Hyde:

On Cowser: “Colton is way more aggressive at plate. Taking really good swings. He’s got a lot of ability. He’s got a lot of tools. He’s got some power, he can run. I like the way he’s playing center field, also.”

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

But it is reality.

O'Hearn and Kjerstad are redundant and roster spots are limited.

O’Hearn has one option remaining and Kjerstad has three. Elias seems to have no problem using them all if it preserves his flexibility. 

• Upvote 1

Ohearn will probably be given all the chance to prove last year wasn't a fluke, and Kjerstad would take over his spot at DH otherwise. Cowser is the biggest mystery. Perhaps he starts out rotating as the 4th OF and DH? Something's gotta give.

9 minutes ago, wse120372 said:

Im prepped for neither to open the year in Baltimore if Holliday makes the open day roster. Smart play would be service time games to push out cowser's and kjerstad's super 2 and free agency out past Holliday. 

I think that while the window is open the smart play is to play the best players.

• Upvote 1

With all the talk about depth…

Let’s talk a hypothetical.

Let’s say tomorrow that one of Mountcastle, Santander or Hays, along with one of Urias or Mateo are traded.

The Os then decide to keep all 4 young players on the team…The 2 OFers, Mayo and Holliday.

The position Player roster is this:

Mayo, Holliday, Westburg, Henderson, Cowser, Kjerstad, Adley, McCann, Urias/Mateo, Mullins, 2 of RM/AS/Hays and OHearn.

Those 13 make the team.

Stowers, Norby, Wong (if he accepts the assignment and doesn’t opt out), Maton, McKenna (assuming he makes it through waivers), etc…are depth.

Are we really saying that the team is hurt by trading 2 of those guys and that we now lack depth?

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Let’s say tomorrow that one of Mountcastle, Santander or Hays, along with one of Urias or Mateo are traded.

The Os then decide to keep all 4 young players on the team…The 2 OFers, Mayo and Holliday.

Mayo, Holliday, Westburg, Henderson, Cowser, Kjerstad, Adley, McCann, Urias/Mateo, Mullins, 2 of RM/AS/Hays and OHearn.

Those 13 make the team.

Stowers, Norby, Wong (if he accepts the assignment and doesn’t opt out), Maton, McKenna (assuming he makes it through waivers), etc…are depth.

Are we really saying that the team is hurt by trading 2 of those guys and that we now lack depth?

5 of your 13 guys have less than 230 MLB plate appearances

2 of them are McCann and Mateo or Urias.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Here’s more Hyde:

On Cowser: “Colton is way more aggressive at plate. Taking really good swings. He’s got a lot of ability. He’s got a lot of tools. He’s got some power, he can run. I like the way he’s playing center field, also.”

Sounds like the Gunnar learning curve getting more aggressive. 

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Those 13 make the team.

Portfolio Diversification pays attention to the bond maturity date.  CD investors know the equivalent of "laddering".

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Those 13 make the team.

They aren’t hurt by lack of depth.  They’re hurt because the players taking their spots aren’t as experienced and aren’t likely to be as good this year.  

2 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

Cowser was only on the roster for 43 days last year, still ROY eligible. Shock the world dude!

Almost like that happened by accident!

Seriously though, Cowser made it easy on them whether it was 37 days, 43 days or 49 days.     They tried establishing him in 2023, and the pause button was understandable.

I will take the money on Free Parking if we are playing that way.

• Upvote 1