2nd lefty in the pen

wildcard

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Probably not but I think we have to look at the whole picture not just this spring.  Take into account what he did last season.

I am not calling for Perez to be DFA'd.   Just saying that Elias has structure ST so there is competition.

Perez is out of options so if he doesn't make the team he will be DFA.

Recent Astros teams often bypassed LH relievers as they had a large stable of dominant righties and Framber gave them the league's best high volume lefty.

They have Hader now.

One Rays-Astros contrast I've noticed is HOU has been un-Arm Barn, generally using a lower number of pitchers.     They get their Nerises, Matons and Staneks and just let them be much more so than Tampa.      As Elias gradually molds the talent stack towards more individually stronger pitchers, this is something I'm curious to see how it plays out.    Last 2 years Astros RH RP rank 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 32nd and 41st among all AL relievers in IP--Montero, Neris, Abreu, Maton, Pressly, Stanek.

We don't have a large quantity of good enough relievers to keep all the time yet.

2023 Astros - league low #P of 24; 2022 Astros - league low #P of 22.     Driveline students of the week give everyone a higher floor if a Club cares to try, but finishing touches on a built roster I think Sigbot prefers stronger individuals.     Tampa doesn't do this as much as they cost money.

Cionel's roster spot is I think 100% safe for opening up the year.     Irvin or Povich might challenge him if/when Means/Bradish make it back.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I reject the idea that we need at least 2 LH relievers.

I think we will have two (Perez and Coulombe) but don't need three. Either way I would rather have a good righty than a bad lefty (Akin). Vespi is a fine option.

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

Perez is making the team.  There is no chance he is cut.  Arm is too good from the left side. 

This ^^^. Perez I believe struggled last spring too and some in April, but eventually got it going. With no options, he's making the team unless he's injured. 

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think we will have two (Perez and Coulombe) but don't need three. Either way I would rather have a good righty than a bad lefty (Akin). Vespi is a fine option.

Akin is better than Vespi

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Probably not but I think we have to look at the whole picture not just this spring.  Take into account what he did last season.

I am not calling for Perez to be DFA'd.   Just saying that Elias has structure ST so there is competition.

So if he was playing well this spring, you admit that you don’t mention it. So, last year’s performance isn’t really the issue.  It’s only an issue because of 3.2 poor IP in exhibition games and you now wanting to combine everything and make it seem like that you were concerned with how he pitched last year.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

He has been consistently awful except the first half of 2022.

Eh, he was really only bad August and Sept that year. He was hurt last year. Much better stuff than Vespi, but yeah he has to prove he can be effective again. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Eh, he was really only bad August and Sept that year. He was hurt last year. Much better stuff than Vespi, but yeah he has to prove he can be effective again. 

Fair enough, he has been consistently awful except for 4 months in 2022.