2nd lefty in the pen

wildcard

The O's need at least two lefties in the pen.   Coulombe is one.   The 2nd is up for grabs.

Lionel Perez was the 2nd lefty last season but he was not real good for the first 4 months of 2023.

March/April.  5.23 ERA

May 4.50

June 4.00

July  4.26

August 0.00

Sept  3.00

He is good when he has his control but how long will the O's wait for that to happen.   He is beginning ST with a 17.18 ERA.   If he can turn it around in the next two weeks he probably has a spot  in the pen.  But if he can't there is competition for that spot.  Perez is out of options.  He has a 1.2m contract.  If he is put on waivers he might be claimed but that is not for sure if he is not pitching well.

Currently

Akin. 0.00 ERA

Andrew Suarez.  0.00

Luis Gongalez.  2.25

Krook   3.00

Vespi 3.60

Davidson.  4.50

The O's have reached the half way point in ST.   They have played 17 games.   They have 16  yet to play counting the rookie game.   We will see what happens.

Edited by wildcard

21 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

3.2 innings for Perez so far. 

I don't think the O's will base their decision on just what happens the spring.   They will also look at how be began the season last year and how long it took him to get control of his pitches.  Just my guess.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think the O's will base their decision on just what happens the spring.   They will also look at how be began the season last year and how long it took him to get control of his pitches.  Just my guess.

Will they also look at how effective he’s been in the majority of his time with Baltimore? Or just base it on cold weather stats and 3.2 IP in ST?

8 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Will they also look at how effective he’s been in the majority of his time with Baltimore? Or just base it on cold weather stats and 3.2 IP in ST?

I don't know.  Is pitching to an ERA of 4.00 plus for months good enough? That is why I said we will see what happens.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

This matters very little to chicken little.

If you could read I showed what he did for each month of 2023.   I am not basing anything on just what he has done this spring.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

If you could read I showed what he did for each month of 2023.   I am not basing anything on just what he has done this spring.

So, if he had 3.2 IP of scoreless ball with 1 walk and 6 Ks, you would be posting this?

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, if he had 3.2 IP of scoreless ball with 1 walk and 6 Ks, you would be posting this?

Probably not but I think we have to look at the whole picture not just this spring.  Take into account what he did last season.

I am not calling for Perez to be DFA'd.   Just saying that Elias has structure ST so there is competition.