Means discusses his timetable to return

Sports Guy

I think the rotation can survive "as is" until about June. But the June and July schedule is brutal. Usually Wells breaks down around then and Irvin (IMO) is not going to be effective against good teams with good to elite right handed hitters, not even in Camden. He's just not good enough to be a rotation main stay on a contender IMO.

Hopefully Means (and Bradish for that matter) return before or at the latest by June. 🤞

I wish we would just sign Lorenzen to a 1 year deal.  I don't think we need the best rotation in baseball to win with this lineup and defense but we could use a little more solid depth.  Even if Means and Bradish come back in a couple months, how burned up is the rotation and bullpen at that point?

26 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

“Hopefully late April,” to me sounds like “but probably late June.”

I’m not banking on anything from Means this season. If he gives some good innings along the way, that’s a bonus. 

He was much better than I expected last year. I know it was a small sample size, but a really low WHIP, also a really low K rate. I'm sure the numbers were about to normalize.

5 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm not very optimistic about either.

I think odds are Elias is going to trade for another starting pitcher at the trade deadline. Hopefully it works out better than the Jack Flaherty trade this time. I think Means will pitch, but his availability will be limited this season. 

• Thanks 1

Regardless of when Means comes back, Im not sure if he can be counted upon for the entire season. Plus he is a free agent next year and I can’t see the team signing him to a long term deal. 

With Irvin getting rocked again today, Im worried about him being our 5th starter. Hopefully Tyler bounces back and can be counted upon all year but who knows. 

I really hope Elias trades for a reliable pitching vet. It may require trading away Urias, Stowers and maybe a Westburg but to me Mayo and Jackson are our future at 2nd and 3rd. 

• Upvote 1

The pessimist in me doesn't expect anything from Mrans this year and has pretty much written him off as a key contributor to Orioles baseball in the future.   I also don't expect to see Bradish back and contributing until mid 2025.

15 minutes ago, Os4days said:

Regardless of when Means comes back, Im not sure if he can be counted upon for the entire season. Plus he is a free agent next year and I can’t see the team signing him to a long term deal. 

With Irvin getting rocked again today, Im worried about him being our 5th starter. Hopefully Tyler bounces back and can be counted upon all year but who knows. 

I really hope Elias trades for a reliable pitching vet. It may require trading away Urias, Stowers and maybe a Westburg but to me Mayo and Jackson are our future at 2nd and 3rd. 

I'm a fan of Tyler Wells, but he seems to be better suited as a bullpen arm over being in the starting rotation the whole season. Maybe Bradish and Means are available enough, but it's looking like the Orioles will need a veteran starting pitcher to get prepared for a playoff run.

The tricky part is going to be Elias deciding which prospects to trade away and preferably the Orioles can acquire a pitcher who is under control through 2025 season.