Means discusses his timetable to return

Sports Guy

29 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

I know everyone thinks it’s routine, but some guys still never return to form after TJS. Even when he pitched in MLB at the end of last year, he looked like a guy that had some good luck given that he wasn’t missing bats.

Yeah they don't all make it back. It's pretty rare to see these days but it happens. 

32 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

I know everyone thinks it’s routine, but some guys still never return to form after TJS. Even when he pitched in MLB at the end of last year, he looked like a guy that had some good luck given that he wasn’t missing bats.

I just don't think the Orioles can count on him in their immediate (and long-term, forv that matter) plans.   I hope Bradish doesn't have to go through TJS - knock on wood. 

I wish Means was throwing well, but I think we look back more fondly on him because he was the best pitcher we had on a terrible team. Even in his best seasons his FIP was mid 4's.  He never really walked people and has a career 7.5K/9 and 1.7HR/9.

He was our Ace on a terrible team, but he was never a top pitcher by the numbers.

47 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah, but he made it out of the first inning in every start and even his FIP wasn’t terrible.  He’s now getting owned down in AAA.

His FIP was a 5.24 and his xFIP was 5.91. I guess it wasn’t terrible but it wasn’t good. To me the largest concern was 3.80 K/9. I just don’t know how a pitcher can succeed in today’s game missing that few bats. However, I’m not pouring dirt on him, and don’t think any definitive conclusions can be drawn at this point, particularly because it is spring training for him.

That being said, I have not had a lot of confidence in his ability to help this season because his recovery from TJS has seemed challenging. I hope I’m wrong.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

His FIP was a 5.24 and his xFIP was 5.91. I guess it wasn’t terrible but it wasn’t good. To me the largest concern was 3.80 K/9. I just don’t know how a pitcher can succeed in today’s game missing that few bats. However, I’m not pouring dirt on him, and don’t think any definitive conclusions can be drawn at this point, particularly because it is spring training for him.

That being said, I have not had a lot of confidence in his ability to help this season because his recovery from TJS has seemed challenging. I hope I’m wrong.

I thought his FIP was in the 4’s last year.   Yeah, it was pretty bad.

As bad as the line looks, it was really worse than that. Command was bad and the strikes he threw got CRUSHED. 

Bride destroyed two balls tonight. Bombs.

Uninspiring effort all around…nice night at the park for the 5 innings I stayed though. 

4 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Suarez was getting roughed up in Norfolk too and today he started in Baltimore and goes 5.2 innings of a great performance.

Can we really decipher anything from these short sample sizes?

His 5.2/3 innings was  really small size data, however it must have been a huge  psychological shot in the arm after  all those years out of ML baseball.  Another underdog to root big time for.     

Means has until the 30th to continue on his rehab.   If he is not ready he can be activated and optioned to the minors with his permission.    I doubt John wants to come up and bomb so I think he can work something out with Elias if he  and the team feel he is not ready.

He could pitch at Bowie and hang with the Orioles team the rest of the week.  They are paying him 3.325M no matter where he pitches.   It just may take some time for him to get back to where he was after a long layout.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Means has until the 30th to continue on his rehab.   If he is not ready he can be activated and optioned to the minors with his permission.    I doubt John wants to come up and bomb so I think he can work something out with Elias if he  and the team feel he is not ready.

He could pitch at Bowie and hang with the Orioles team the rest of the week.  They are paying him 3.325M no matter where he pitches.   It just may take some time for him to get back to where he was after a long layout.

I don't know if the Means camp can force a binding agreement that a minor league stint won't impact his free agency.

Without that guarantee I don't see him agreeing to be sent down.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know if the Means camp can force a binding agreement that a minor league stint won't impact his free agency.

If he can’t get through the 1st inning in a minor league game, FA is the least of his worries. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Then he can become a FA but he’s going to wind up in the minors with another team.  He’s smarter than that, I think.