Gunnar to play SS full time

Frobby

That's pretty significant news.

We'll see how long it holds up in the face of the inevitable and unforeseeable circumstances to come.

My initial reaction is that this means less playing time for Mateo than many anticipated.

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

That's pretty significant news.

We'll see how long it holds up in the face of the inevitable and unforeseeable circumstances to come.

My initial reaction is that this means less playing time for Mateo than many anticipated.

If Mateo isn't going to play much SS, I'm not sure why he would go north with the team. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

If Mateo isn't going to play much SS, I'm not sure why he would go north with the team. 

Back-up SS and CF. Late game pinch runner.

Bye bye McKenna. 

Plus who knows, maybe Mateo comes out of the gate blazing hot like last year and we can include him in a trade package. 

28 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

In Rochs blog he also mentions that Hyde said Mateo made the team.  Also implies we may see Mateo some at 2B.

8 minutes ago, Say O! said:

In Rochs blog he also mentions that Hyde said Mateo made the team.  Also implies we may see Mateo some at 2B.

With Westburg and Holliday, I don't like that idea except if Mateo is a backup 2B. If Mateo can play SS and CF then it negates the need for McKenna. Cowser and Kjerstad are better players, but McKenna has the advantage of being a better defensive CF. Mateo being a competent CF changes what the Orioles can do with their roster construction.

simon-cowell-it-s-a-no-y8oy04vjnunbnt3h.

1. Gunnar wants to play SS.

2. Cal is now partial owner of the Orioles and he has always said he believes it would more beneficial to Gunnar to play one position full time. (See #1: Gunnar wants to pay SS.)

3. Gunnar is good at playing SS

4. If the Orioles want to entice Gunnar into signing a long term extension, it makes sense to keep him happy. One of the ways you help keep him happy is to let Gunnar play Shortstop.

What does that mean for Holliday? Guess we will have to watch and find out.

5 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Back-up SS and CF. Late game pinch runner.

Bye bye McKenna. 

Plus who knows, maybe Mateo comes out of the gate blazing hot like last year and we can include him in a trade package. 

5 hours ago, Say O! said:

My issue is that Mateo's production seems awful when he is part time (maybe his defense suffers too?)

• Upvote 1